Help needed for Runaway Hen - seeking adventure????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Esmeralda, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    Can you teach a hen that wanders, to stay in the yard?
    One of my 4 hens is part Hoodini! She always seems to be escaping from the run, but today she must have knocked down part of the fence in her attempt to get out and took 2 other hens on a tour of the neighborhood ... in an area that chickens are illegal.
    I pulled into my driveway greeted by the only hen that decided to stay close to the coop and a neighbor having a fit that there were chickens walking up the street! [​IMG]
    There's lots of food and water, they have a large coop, covered outdoor shelter and a 50 foot long run. When I'm outside she doesn't make any attempt to go anywhere, actually she is usually circling around my feet or following me along the run. She is rediculously smart for a chicken and watches everything I do (especially where I get into and out of the run). She is my favorite and comes running as soon as she sees me; she is not the top hen, so the others don't usually follow her, but I also don't want to loose her either.

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
  3. 3ChickensNADuck

3ChickensNADuck Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    One of my hens use to fly up to the fence like shes going to fly out and sing the egg song and i yelled at her to get down. After that she stopped climbing the fence. But she still likes to explore around the yard

4. creepygothnursi

creepygothnursi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    We had to reinforce the fence, extend the height of the fence, extend it down so the Houdini chicken couldn't dig under it, and cover over the top of the run with deer netting before one of ours would quit bailing out and heading for the hills. The idea of free ranging would have been a complete joke- she would go up and over and haul tailfeathers as fast and as far as she could until the dogs drove her back or I grabbed her. Clipping wings is also something you can try, but in our case it didn't even seem to slow Houdini down. You may have to turn their run into Fort Chicken and rule out free ranging to keep her confined- some of them were just born to run, it seems like.

5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    Thanks all... Apparently I have chickens that will never be allowed to free range. I know one time she got under the fence and another time she got through The space between the gates in the fence. BUT If I had not seen it myself I would not believe it! She (Lavern) has been using the bean tripod to catapults herself over the fence. Her sidekick, Shirley, was in hysterics because she was the only one left behind last time when Lavern miss calculated and took down part of the fence on her escape and Let all of the other girls out.
    I threatened her with chicken soup! Then I went to Home Depot to get supplies to fortify the run. Thanks again all!

6. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Good luck! I had a runaway chicken once, I think she was smarter than me. She made it to the top of a tree once with clipped wings!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by