1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP Needed - Graphic photos attached

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SCHenny, Jul 8, 2016.

1. SCHenny

SCHenny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2013
    One of my 11 week old Buff Orpingtons Chicks was snatched yesterday. Completely disappeared, all we found was feathers. Just so happens that it was the one we thought was a Rooster and was going to give it (him) away any ways. Tonight at 8:00pm I go outside to check on the animals and Hear my other 3 making all kinda noises....DANG if that little chick isn't standing at the fence wanting to get in. His back is all tore up........ I have flushed the wound out with diluted gentle iodine. Realized there was already maggots so I have flushed an additional two times and have coated with the VETERICYN. He/she is currently in a dog crate inside of the house. I will be giving her/him oxytetracycline HCI is his/her water also. Should I continue to keep him in the house or is it ok to put in a secure separated pen near his siblings? Is there anything else I can do?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep the flies off of him. It appears as if he has some deep wounds. I would be tempted to slather them with antibiotic ointment.

3. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Put some Sav-A-Chick in his/her water and feed some good proteins like scrambled egg, tuna, etc.
    I hope he/she heals quickly. Best wishes.

4. SCHenny

Nov 18, 2013
    I had purchased some neosporin ointment to slather on but I am worried about hurting him further.

I now have BLU-KOTE that I will apply when I clean again.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I would keep him separated. Being outside you will risk more maggots at the moment.

Make sure all the maggots are gone, sometimes people find them several days after the initial cleaning, so just keep an eye out for them, if you see anymore, re-flush with the iodine, you may need to pick them out with some tweezers.

The wound is such a large area, the Vetericyn would be better than Blu Kote. Vetericyn comes in a spray as well, that may be easier to apply. You can also use plain neosporin.

Keep him hydrated well, so encourage him to drink. Poultry vitamins/electrolytes will be helpful if you have them. Offer wet chick starter, scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna or mackerel to eat.

Keep watch for signs of infection -pus, odors, etc.

Keep us posted on his progress.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. SCHenny

Nov 18, 2013
    Thank you! I will certainly offer scrambled eggs in the morning.

Unfortunately the attack happened about about. 230pm on Wednesday and he (the chick) did not show up until 8:00pm on Thursday. There was an odor coming from the chick at that time. But no signs of pus. He did drink water and I have seen him eat plain yogurt and fermented chicken feed while outside beside his siblings. Since moving him into the house about 1pm today I have only witnessed him eating dry crumble.

I will use a dropper tomorrow in hopes of keeping him hydrated. Thank you again!

7. Yoako

Yoako Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2015
    Water + sick chicken= a good start!

Maybe you could bandage the wound??? Anyone??

8. SCHenny

Nov 18, 2013
    I have read mixed opinions on bandaging. Some say yes some say no.....

9. SCHenny

Nov 18, 2013
    And it is a rather large wound. It actually goes up under the wing. I did not take photos of that because I hated to bother him again so soon after his iodine treatment

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If he will eat the dry crumble that will be good.[​IMG] Some that are injured/sick won't eat their regular food, so I usually mention other things that you can try to feed.

Personally since you have him inside right now, I would not cover the wound. I think air will be helpful in the healing process since you are able to "control" his environment right now.

Does the wound still have an odor?

You mention giving Oxytetracycline HCI to him, if that is what you have available then you can try it. Most people use Oxy for respiratory illnesses, for wounds something like procaine Penicillin G may work better. Dosage is 1/4cc daily in breast muscle 1/4" deep, alternate sides daily.

Let us know how he's doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by