Help needed - Hen not standing much

mooreND23

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2018
Hey there everyone, looking for some guidance before we have to look at putting one of our hens down. We have a hen who is about 1.5 hrs old, previously healthy. Over the last couple months she has been laying down most of the time only occasionally getting up to walk to food and water but even that has gotten less recently. She does not appear ill and when we set her next to water and food she eats and drinks a decent amount. Stools are intermittently runny but that’s probably because we’ve been giving her a lot of table scraps as we quarantine her over the last few weeks. We’ve used a mite spray on her and use the gasoline and Vaseline treatment for presumed mites because we found some in the coop. We haven’t seen any on her recently. She does have some scaling up still on her one leg but overall her leg appears to be healing well. She does not appear lethargic at all.
B0283A29-766B-436E-8FFE-6658E7B14B14.jpeg
D8DBD312-74D4-400F-8F47-4F7F89D8C604.jpeg
13D9E87B-F97C-4384-BCE3-3C81A571E4B9.jpeg
CB59E4F5-4DD3-49FF-BC6B-85788710EB37.jpeg
05E6C0EB-7391-4AA9-BA21-671B50F9474F.jpeg
39C8C6AF-C8C3-441B-8E8B-ECF04E4234E1.jpeg
ECACB290-74D5-4911-8550-456331ED3C6E.jpeg
She has gotten progressively thinner and thinner at this point. She is able to stand when motivated but doesn’t walk very well flapping her wings Often on to get places. I added a bit of garlic to her water but she did not appear to drink much of that. Any advice would be helpful.

I would feed her plain water. You can try some Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml daily for a boost of vitamins and electrolytes. What spray did you use to treat for body mites or lice? Her face looks bare from possible scratching. When there are mites or lice on the chickens, the coop bedding should be removed, and the roosts, nests, and coop should be treated with permethrin. Mites require treatment at 5-7 day intervals at least twice to get the mites and their newly hatched eggs.

Her main problem could be a reproductive disorder or cancer. Her tail position is down, so she is pretty sick. Have you noticed any yellow urates in her poop? I can see one of the poops in the last picture. That is the normally white cap in droppings. How does her crop feel? Does she feel skinny through her breast or swollen on her lower belly?

I would feed her plain water. You can try some Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml daily for a boost of vitamins and electrolytes. What spray did you use to treat for body mites or lice? Her face looks bare from possible scratching. When there are mites or lice on the chickens, the coop bedding should be removed, and the roosts, nests, and coop should be treated with permethrin. Mites require treatment at 5-7 day intervals at least twice to get the mites and their newly hatched eggs.

Her main problem could be a reproductive disorder or cancer. Her tail position is down, so she is pretty sick. Have you noticed any yellow urates in her poop? I can see one of the poops in the last picture. That is the normally white cap in droppings. How does her crop feel? Does she feel skinny through her breast or swollen on her lower belly?
Her belly is skin and bones, crop feels normal, personality seems reasonably normal but she definitely just sits around. I assume is is going only one way. None of the other chickens seem similar as I was worried about Marek’s but she can stand just seems to not do it. Certainly not super steady on her feet. Not sure I’ve seen yellow urates. Her poops have been all over the place though as we have tried to bulk her up with more scraps and tote in boosters in her feed.
We emptied the coop a month or so ago and cleaned with a recommended bleach sanitizing solution. I used linseed oil on roosts. We treated all the hens feet with gas dip and gasoline but admittedly could have done it for more days.
many permethrin solution you recommend? I assume clean/sanitize coop after removing bedding then spray all over? Do you do this once then a second time at day 5-7? How do you recommend treating the ones on the hens themselves?

The spray we used was Pure Planet Poultry Spray

Could be scaly leg mites(SLM). Foot does not look it's healthiest and can cause pain therefore chicken won't stand. Check for bumblefoot on the bottom of foot as well.

I have a 1 year old lavendar orpington doing the same thing. I've checked her and she is not egg bound. She walks very little, like a penguin. She is eating and drinking. No mites or lice. Her legs and feet look normal. She gets electrolytes in her water. Fresh water regularly and fresh food. I'm at a loss. We added young pullets a couple months ago. I'm open to any ideas.

I have a 1 year old lavendar orpington doing the same thing. I've checked her and she is not egg bound. She walks very little, like a penguin. She is eating and drinking. No mites or lice. Her legs and feet look normal. She gets electrolytes in her water. Fresh water regularly and fresh food. I'm at a loss. We added young pullets a couple months ago. I'm open to any ideas.
1632812455214.png
Sorry for taking so long to reply but I'm almost positive that's SLM. You can't see some mites with your naked eyes and need a microscope. Soak her in a bucket for 15 minutes in DAWN dishsoap + essential oils whatever you have to fight mites, scrub with old tooth brush, also try vasoline or coconut oil when done. Repeat a 2x a week or as needed, trying not to wash too frequently as this can be painful as well. Lastly give her a place she can take a dust bath, so she can naturally fight pests off. Good luck
SLM.jpg

I'll try to get a picture of her legs and feet. I've given her a couple baths, cleaned the coop twice, put out fresh DE and still no improvement. I've checked her vent. It's clear of any greeter. I'm going to try a broad spectrum antibiotic next. Still at a loss here. 🤷‍♀️
View attachment 2849068Sorry for taking so long to reply but I'm almost positive that's SLM. You can't see some mites with your naked eyes and need a microscope. Soak her in a bucket for 15 minutes in DAWN dishsoap + essential oils whatever you have to fight mites, scrub with old tooth brush, also try vasoline or coconut oil when done. Repeat a 2x a week or as needed, trying not to wash too frequently as this can be painful as well. Lastly give her a place she can take a dust bath, so she can naturally fight pests off. Good luckView attachment 2849067

Back
Top Bottom