Help needed, I have a rooster that his comb has black spot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Noahettes Mom, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Noahettes Mom

Noahettes Mom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    I just discovered my Buff Orpington rooster, Captain Cluckles, has black splotches (large) on his comb and waddle (is that what you call the two red things under his beak?) I am concerned that he has gotten it frozen in the past weeks negative temperatures. I have no clue what to do. He acts normal, but concerned for frostbite since it is black and kind of hard to the touch instead of soft like the rest of it. Please advise. (I will upload the pictures later when I can get to a computer)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There has been a lot of frostbite over the last few weeks. Usually with frostbite you will see a darkening of the tips of the comb, and sometimes if the wattles have gotten wet, they will freeze near the bottom. A picture would help to tell the black marks from peck wounds. Make sure that you have plenty of over head ventilation, but no direct drafts, because moisture, not the cold causes frostbite. Here are a couple of good sites with pictures and instructions:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2013/01/frostbite-and-backyard-chickens.html

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if his comb and wattles are frost bitten. If you want, you can apply bag balm. Eventually the frostbitten parts will generally dry up and fall off. Some call frostbite 'nature's dubbing' process.

4. Noahettes Mom

Jan 16, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are two pictures of my rooster, a front and side view. Thanks folks for all your advice!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is frost bitten for sure. The back portion of his comb and the tips of his comb will eventually fall off. The lower portions of his wattles will also dry up and fall off. Other than the frost bite he appears to be in excellent condition.

6. cooperleon

cooperleon New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    My rooster also has the black on his crown too. I believe it is frost bite. I'm not able to catch him to put balm on it. Will it heal on its on?[​IMG]

7. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    The part that is black will fall off over time. The tissue is already dead and there is not much that you can do for them at this point, just keep and eye out for any infection. I had a couple of mine that got a case when it went down to 2, about four weeks ago and there tips are already falling off.

8. cooperleon

cooperleon New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Thank you for your response. It makes me feel better. I will watch him. He seems fine otherwise.

1 person likes this.
  9. Noahettes Mom

Jan 16, 2013
    We did catch him (obviously to get his picture) as my daughter (16) was holding him. She applied vaseline to it several times since we took to pictures. It is looking better now, though nothing has fallen off as of yet. Thanks to those those that advised me. Now our biggest problem with him is he won't leave the girls (the hens) alone and their missing many feathers on top. Does anyone know if it is best to keep him separate from the girls or keeping him with them helps them lay more eggs as I've been told?

10. Noahettes Mom

Jan 16, 2013
    What breed is your rooster?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by