Help needed in identifying some tracks by my coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kartking22, Dec 27, 2014.

1. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    When I went out to my coop this morning to feed my turkeys, I found these tracks in the snow. Does anyone know what made these?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I live in a rural area of northeastern Wisconsin and seems too big to be coyote tracks.

2. ArizonaDebbie

ArizonaDebbie New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Peoria, Arizona
    Bobcat?

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Canine passing threw, anything stalking your coup would have left many ,many tracks unless something spooked them but those are not tracks left from running away IMO just strolling threw kinda tracks

4. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    There are no dogs in my area that would leave this large of a track. All of the neighbors have small house dogs or keep them on a chain.

5. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they are not in the area, in addition to 'pet dogs' there are wild dogs, coyotes and even wolves in NE Wisconsin...

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I agree; dog or wild canine. Mary

7. ArizonaDebbie

ArizonaDebbie New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Peoria, Arizona
    Maybe a wolf?

8. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Smallish wolf or large dog. Definitely canine. Possibly a really large coyote, I have seen them leave tracks that big right to their last roundup, but I'm leaning towards wolf/dog. I'd have to be there and track it for awhile noting behaviors to be sure. As posted above, appears to be just cruising through. Not a huge concern unless you have other livestock. A game camera baited with a post and coyote urine and feathers would be interesting!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  9. NEChickenNoob

NEChickenNoob Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2014
    SE Connecticut
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Oh that explains the mystery. Those must be the tracks of a wolf, out looking for some hot dogs for a Saturday morning brunch.

Even the greenest of the greens, the Germans are having second thoughts about wolves returning to the Fatherland.

http://theweek.com/article/index/273838/germany-has-a-serious-wolf-problem

I guess as long as you live in a 4th floor cold water walk-up flat you can be cavalier about the difficulties that wild critters impose on your fellow man.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by