Help needed newly hatched guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by lovinRIRs, Sep 6, 2016.

1. lovinRIRs

lovinRIRs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    I've raised guineas before but I always hatched them or bought them. Sat afternoon 2 of my hens that i thought got eaten by a fox, came home with 15 keets. I gathered them up and have them in a brooder but they do not seem like they are eating or drinking. I don't know why. Do they miss mom and are depressed? Idk lol any suggestions or experiences with taking them from mom as far as raising them different?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They may very well be missing the hens. Is there any way you can confine them with their mothers?

3. lovinRIRs

lovinRIRs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    I tried that. They fly out of the pen. I don't have a covered pen for them. They have a coop but share with my chickens.

4. GlennLee

GlennLee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2016
    Central New York
    I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this to share with you, but the keets I bought in May were in large dog crates for a while until it was warm enough to be outside in the coop. I'm not saying it was ideal, but the dog crates have come in handy when I have needed to isolate one from the rest of the flock and still allow them to be in and among the rest of them. Just a thought...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by