help needed of barred wyandotte experts

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tasha82, Aug 16, 2011.

1. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    ,is anyone on here kind of an expert on barred wyandottes,desperately need help.i got a chicken(well 9)6weeks ago was told theyre were about 10weeks when i got it,so she/hell be about 16wks now,when we first got her i put some pics up and was told it was a dominique and a male because of the colouring,2weeks ago zeebs tried climbing on the back of one of my other chickens and kept pecking and stamping on her back,so we thought right defo a male.we rang the breeder up to swap him,and shes told us that she doesnt keep doms or barred rocks,its a barred wyandotte,and they dont get the sex wrong as theyre easy to sex,at an early age,and some females do jump and stamp on others,shed happily look at zeebs but if it did turn out to be a boy we have to realsie shell kill it,which really upset me,theres not much info on barred wyandottes,can anyone tell me what they think the sex is of zeebs.pleaseeeeee.if it does turn out to be a boy im going to try to find him another home as i cudnt live with myself knowing as i drive away hes about to be killed,hes such a character,just cant do it,one lady has commented on another post i made on a diff section on here n showed me zeebs looks like her male colour wise but is in 2minds as zeebs looks more like a pullet with the head and hock(i dont know what a hock is).just desperately trying to find help,[​IMG] zeebs at about 10weeks old
    [​IMG][​IMG]zeebs now
    [​IMG]

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    It is quite possible that it is a Barred Wyandotte, but I think it is a young Rooster and I wonder if the breeder is crossing another breed in the stock as the chick has White legs and beak as a chick and then got Yellow legs as it got older. Wyandotte should have Yellow legs as both chicks and adults.

Edited to add too many people see a Barred, Rose Comb Breed and assume Dominique [​IMG]

Chris

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:your supposed to say pullet haha,the breeder says she only breeds barred wynadottes.but yes she does cross breeds he said if she has an empty incubator shell just scoop up eggs and hatch them n see what she gets,were new to chickens so really have no idea,im trying to find someone who knows alot them but coming up with not alot.you know what i never even notcied that about the legs untill you just said that.xx

4. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Your Zeebs looks like my Charolette-I have been told she/he's a Dominique and also been told she/he is a Barred Rock. So now with this post I am wondering if Charolette can be a barred Wyandotte, as she looks so different than my other 4 who are supposedly Dominiques, they all will be turning 8 weeks this week. The only difference between Charoette and Zeebs is that my chicks legs have a little more blackish coloring than Zeebs.

5. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    lorain's fids :

Quote:Your Zeebs looks like my Charolette-I have been told she/he's a Dominique and also been told she/he is a Barred Rock. So now with this post I am wondering if Charolette can be a barred Wyandotte, as she looks so different than my other 4 who are supposedly Dominiques, they all will be turning 8 weeks this week. The only difference between Charoette and Zeebs is that my chicks legs have a little more blackish coloring than Zeebs.

hi ive spoke to you before,about charlotte,there was 2 in a pic you posted,one eating flowers out of a flower pot??im desperately trying to find a wyandotte expert haha,xx​

6. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    well thats just answered my ?,hes just jumped ontop of my female belle stamped on her she lifted her tail and he started shaking away,hell only be about 16weeks old,is this to young to fertilize eggs,??X

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Nope, not too young to fertilize, just too young to presume that he has if you hadn't seen it yourself. I'd be wary of a breeder who tells you she never gets the gender wrong and that she'll kill him if you bring him back. That doesn't sound like someone who wants to keep good relationships with clients! Even the absolute best professional chicken sexers get it wrong 2% of the time.

8. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:weve rang the lady and today she said they cant always get it right,yet monday she was adamant,i dont know.she said if we took him back shes have no option to kill him as they cant get rid of males,luckily were ok to kind of swap,basically were getting a girl,but might have to pay the difference as well need to buy one of the bigger ones cos of the ages n size,but the prices have changed alot since we bought them 6weeks ago.but were ok to rehome zeebs,if shed of said no we cant rehome him i wouldnt of swapped full stop.but luckily she asked us aswell if we could,x

9. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    what are the signs of being is it broddy??i have 2 hens laying now obviously the one he had hold of earlier and one other,what do i need to do with the eggs,id love to try hatch one but my oh said no,dont have a incubator either:(.xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by