Help needed: Pippin chick's egg broken by hen

Chiquis

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2022
Hi,

A hen cracked open this egg but the baby chick is still pippin and moving a bit.

It's been 19 days since her incubation started but doesn't seem ready to break through yet.

What can be done to save her?

I'd appreciate any help/experience 🙏🙏
PXL_20220905_221342710.jpg

Try to moisten the membrane with water or coconut oil and use a qtip to push back the broken shell.
I don't know if it's actively still bleeding but if it's not you can gently try just to pull the head out. After that it should be able to push out on its own.

Thank you so much for the support!
I've kept the membrane moist and about a day later she was able to make it out of the shell and is a lovely and energetic chick!
I have one more question: I noticed that two of her droppings were white with an orange/reddish spot. Is that common?
PXL_20220908_031628614.jpg

PXL_20220907_173053966.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

I've kept the membrane moist and about a day later she was able to make it out of the shell and is a lovely and energetic chick!
I have one more question: I noticed that two of her droppings were white with an orange/reddish spot. Is that common?
View attachment 3252359
View attachment 3252358
No, that's not normal. What are you feeding? Research Coccidiosis.

View attachment 3252359
View attachment 3252358
Bright or light red blood indicates a surface injury. Coccidiosis blood would be dark. If it is blood, have you looked her over for an injury?
is it possible that she has ingested something that color?
She is adorable. Congratulations!

Thanks for the information!
Since then her stools have been normal and haven't seen any new red spots so I'm guessing it might have been a small injury from the hatching 🤷

Back
Top Bottom