Help needed please! Post-dog-attack hen smells like DEATH...cull?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kgdubois, Nov 23, 2011.

1. kgdubois

kgdubois Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    West Texas
    Hello all [​IMG] sooo...over a week later, I'm still dealing with the dog attack crud [​IMG] I have a Partridge Rock hen that is not doing well at all, and now smells completely rotten [​IMG] She isn't eating, and when I opened the coop last night, I thought there was something dead in there, it smelled so bad. I didn't want to pester her much (she is not one of my gentle girls) but it appears that the dog attack busted her croup (sp?). It is leaking a nasty, runny puss, and smells so horrible I can't even describe it.

Should I give her a chance, or just cull this one? I am hesitant to just cull it, but I work full time and have a 2 year old son, so I really don't have the time or energy to nurse her for weeks. I tried giving her some water & scrambled egg, but she wasn't interested in any of it. I don't want her to suffer needlessly...any advice, y'all?

Thanks in advance.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds like putting her down might be the most humane thing to do right now. I'm so sorry.

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    If you don't have the time to tend to her, and I'm not judging, I do understand...then the kindest thing is to cull her. She sounds like she's in bad shape and suffering. Sorry [​IMG]

4. kgdubois

kgdubois Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    West Texas
    That's what I'm thinking too...I just felt so bad about it I wanted some "reinforcement" on the decision. I get to spend time with my girls, but the only place I could keep her would be in my house, and honestly, she smells so horrible I don't know if I could stomach it. I called my vet, and he told me that if her croup is busted there really isn't much I could do, other than surgery. Now, I love my birds, but I'm not about to pay for chicken surgery...I guess tonight I'll send her on her way, poor thing.

Thank you for the responses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by