Help needed please! Sick chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by caitcluckcluck, Nov 21, 2016.

1. caitcluckcluck

caitcluckcluck New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Hi all,
    I've had my last remaining Hen (long story don't ask lol) go broody and I eagerly gave her 6 fertile eggs to hatch. 3 have hatched last night and the last eggs are duds.
    Anyway, 2 of the chicks are strong and healthy, but the third seems sick =( it's doing foamy green poo's and although it can hop around after Mum if it HAS to, other than that it's just lying down panting [​IMG] What can I do?! I've heard of giving a tiny amount of vegemite in water helps? But then I've also heard it's too much salt for them? So I'm not sure what to do! It's her first lot of chicks and she's doing such a great job, I just really want to save it for her!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Get some Poultry Nutri-drench. If this chick can be helped, that will do it. This product is different from ordinary baby vitamins like Poly-vi-sol in that it gets directly into the blood stream, supplying nutrients the chick probably isn't able to absorb due to an immature digestive system. This could give your chick the leg up it needs to survive this first week.

1 person likes this.
  3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Great advice azygous!!

4. caitcluckcluck

caitcluckcluck New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Ok great, thank you! I just went back out there and it does seem to be a bit stronger, so who knows! Is the green frothy poo a concern?

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Here's what you do. First thing Tuesday morning you go get a small bottle of Poultry Nutri-drench. Meanwhile, boil an egg and mince it finely in a food processor, both white and yolk since each has different and valuable life saving properties.

You will warm a little water to a tepid temperature so it's not cold. Add a dash of sugar to it. Take the chick and place a drop alongside its beak. It will slurp it. Do a bit more, then a bit more until the chick appears to have had enough.

Return the chick to the broody and offer all of them the plate of minced boiled egg. Some will say to isolate the chick but I've found the presence of the other chicks encourages the sick one to eat.

When you get the Nutri-drench, again take the sick chick aside and place a drop of undiluted Nutri-drench alongside its beak, trying to get as much into the tiny mouth as possible without forcing it.

Then make a "weak tea" with the Nutri-drench in the chicks' water bottle. Let everyone drink it, it's okay. Make fresh each day, and keep it up for the next week or two or until you see the chick is acting and eating and pooping normally.

The poop may be a result of the chick not having a functioning digestive system. Or it may have an inherited disease which sometimes gets passed to the chick from the egg donor. It's not going to be possible to diagnose it. All you can do is try these life saving measures and wait and see if they work.

Sometimes, a chick is hatched and it fails to thrive no matter what you do. All you can do is try. The rest is up to the chick.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. caitcluckcluck

caitcluckcluck New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Thanks all for your help, it seems fine today so maybe it was just a slow starter! Thanks again! =)) [​IMG]

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's what we all wanted to hear! Nice little family group!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by