1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help needed please! Sick chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by caitcluckcluck, Nov 21, 2016.

1. caitcluckcluck

caitcluckcluck New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Hi all,
    I've had my last remaining Hen (long story don't ask lol) go broody and I eagerly gave her 6 fertile eggs to hatch. 3 have hatched last night and the last eggs are duds.
    Anyway, 2 of the chicks are strong and healthy, but the third seems sick =( it's doing foamy green poo's and although it can hop around after Mum if it HAS to, other than that it's just lying down panting [​IMG] What can I do?! I've heard of giving a tiny amount of vegemite in water helps? But then I've also heard it's too much salt for them? So I'm not sure what to do! It's her first lot of chicks and she's doing such a great job, I just really want to save it for her!

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on your new chicks!

If it's available near you, Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte & Vitamin Supplement may help the weaker chick. If necessary, you can also make your own - there are recipes here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/221676/can-you-make-your-own-electrolytes-for-chickens.

With regard to the poop, what you describe isn't necessarily abnormal...can you post a photo? Giving some probiotics may help - you can buy a packet of probiotics to add to water (Sav-A-Chick makes one, for example) or you can try adding raw apple cider vinegar (ACV) to the chick's water: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/237299/sick-chick-new-acv-apple-cider-vinegar-convert.

Hope your chick is feeling better soon.

3. caitcluckcluck

caitcluckcluck New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Thanks so much for your help, it actually seems much better today and is back to normal! So perhaps it was just a slow starter! =) thanks again! [​IMG]

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

That's good to hear! Great pic of the happy family, too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by