Help needed, please. Worming questions.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rlcrn02, Oct 27, 2016.

1. rlcrn02

rlcrn02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    So I have a hen that is looking poorly. She is hunched up with feathers ruffled, pale comb, sleeping a lot and not eating or drinking much. She is also "gapeing". No other respiratory symptoms. A lot of my hens have dirty butt fluff. Nothing seen in any of their poop except a different hen had a dark red streak that at first I thought was old blood but now I wonder if it was a gapeworm. After seeing the red streak I put corid in their water thinking it was coccidiosis.
    After research, I decided to worm my flock. Yesterday, we gave them Valbazen 1/2ml for standards and 1/4ml for bantams. We individually dosed 74 chickens. According to my research, I plan to dose them 3 days in a row total, then again in 10 days for 3 days. Is that correct for gapeworm? Or should I switch to Safeguard? Or use a larger dose of Valbazen? When will I see worms in the poop if they have them?
    In the meantime, I have been giving the one hen scrambled duck eggs, yogurt and Gatorade.

Thanks for your help.

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    The dosage you are using for the Valbazen is fine. From what I understand, it's one treatment and then again in 10 days.

That may have changed recently.

@casportpony always has up-to-date info on worming. :)

MrsB

3. rlcrn02

Apr 22, 2015
    I thought I read somewhere that for gapeworms you had to give it at least three days in a row because they would detect the chemical in the blood and just not eat for a couple of days. That was the only reason I was doing it 3 days in a row

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    You could absolutely be right. Where did you read that?

If that's the case, gapes are (unfortunately) pretty smart creatures!

MrsB

5. rlcrn02

Apr 22, 2015
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

If they have gapes, three days of Valbazen will treat them.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  7. rlcrn02

Apr 22, 2015
    We didn't do another dose last night on the whole coop, because it looked like they needed 3 doses in 10 days. So the first dose was 10/26 pm. I was going to do another dose 10/30 am and since I can't 11/4, was going to 11/5. Would it be better to dose today and tomorrow? Or 10/30 am & 11/3 pm? I did give a second dose yesterday to my chicken that was symptomatic and she is looking better. Is out free ranging, alert, and not "gapeing".:):):clap

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

All studies and literature I have read say to treat gapes with Valbazen or Safeguard for 3-5 consecutive days. Not sure where people got the idea of 3 times in 10 days. :confused:

-Kathy

9. rlcrn02

Apr 22, 2015
    Thanks!! Only one more question... Since I gave the first dose 10/26 and just doing a second dose today 10/30, should I go ahead and do 3 more doses 3 days in a row or only 2 more (today and tomorrow) for a total of 3?

Definitely had to be gapeworms, my symptomatic chicken is the only one we dosed 3 days in a row because she was doing so poorly and she has almost fully back to normal. 100% no gapeing!

Thanks again for all your help! There is so much information out there it is hard to sift through it all, especially when you are trying to treat a sickie chickie. It is great to have a worm guru for answers!:bow :bow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by