help needed please!

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Ale370, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Ale370

Ale370 New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    My male golden pheasant has been acting lethargic for the past couple of days, and today I found him on his perch breathing heavily with his eyes closed and opening and closing his beak slightly with every breath. He doesn't look too well :( do you guys know what this could be? Is there anything I can do for him? Unfortunately Im currently in between jobs, and cannot afford to rush him to the vet :( any help would be appreciated.

2. Ale370

Ale370 New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    here is a video of it

3. Ale370

Ale370 New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Looks like gape worm.You need to worm pheasants 2 times per year.Safeguard is supposed to be good.It is available at tractor supply.Read down a few post for usage.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. Ale370

Ale370 New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    Thanks Tony, I ordered a bottle of safeguard on amazon and will give that a try. Ill post again and say how it goes

6. Ale370

Ale370 New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    So I gave him 15-20mg of febendazole (.1-.2 ml of safe-guard for goats) once a day for 4 days, with the last day being thursday 6/9. Ive notice some slight improvement but not much, he still closing his eyes and gaping, and generally less active than the female. What do you recommend I do next, as I see it my options are

1) wait another week and see how it goes

2) wait a few days and repeat the safeguard treatment

3) wait and then treat him with antibiotics, (on the assumption that it may be respiratory infection, even though he doesn't have runny eyes or nose)

4) any other suggestions??

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I am not familiar with safeguard as I have used ivemec for years.Worming 2 times per year is good practice to give all your birds.It's more preventative then urgency.I suggested safeguard as others say it is a good product.
    What did the directions say?Follow them and see what happens.You can give him a drink of cranberry juice to help clean him out.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by