Help Needed-Pullet acting funny-equilibrium issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lambchick, Apr 4, 2009.

1. lambchick

lambchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Nebraska
    We have a jersey giant pullet that is 5-6 weeks old and recently moved from the brooder in the basement to the coop with heat lamps. Everyone was doing very well, until now.

One Jersey Giant is tucking her head to her breast and now is walking backwards. Everyone else is fine.

Could it be an equilibrium issues, could she have tried to fly and hit her head and has a concussion, or are we looking at an illness of sorts. There are no other symptoms of illness and this started this morning. I did notice yesterday she seemed to lay around a little more than the others, but not excessively.

THanks!

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen that with hens that are in a heavy molt and lacking nutrition. Sometimes when they get stressed they don't eat and can go downhill very quickly.

You could try some water soluble vitamin/minerals. If that's what it is she should get better very quickly. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt. [​IMG]

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I had a hen do the same thing. She had a head injury and we ended up putting her down. There is something you can give them but I'll have to see if I can remember what it was.

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I have a chick doing this as well, tucks it's head to its chest and swings back and forth. Sometimes it acts fine and then back to the odd neurological disorder. I feed it yogurt and it seemed to act better. Today I'm gonna give it some vitamin water and see what happens.

5. lambchick

lambchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Nebraska
    Update****
    Well, we still have no idea what happened to her, but she is slowly coming out of it. 2 days ago, she appeared fine at the feeder, then out of the blue, tucked her head to her breast and started literally running backward. Then was fine again.

But, normally, she isn't showing any issues now at all, just a quirk every now or then. Maybe she had a head concussion. I've had 3 personally-maybe she's made just for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by