Help needed - questions from a newbie.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by madchickenlady, Aug 16, 2013.

1. madchickenlady

madchickenlady New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Bristol, UK.
    Hi All,
    I've been visiting your site a lot over the past few months whilst researching keeping hens.
    I finally took the plunge about 17 weeks ago and bought myself 4 one week old chicks.
    They've been an absolute delight, and I'm totally loving being a chicken owner.
    My questions are around the genders. I have two Buff Orps and two Anconas. I'm fairly certain that one of my Orps is a roo. I was hoping the Anconas were both pullets but yesterday they started fighting. Grabbing hold of each others combs, wattles, ears, drawing blood. It was awful.
    So. Does this mean I have three Roos? They are still making cheep cheep noises, although when I separated the Anconas yesterday they both started making noises similar to an egg laying noise. I'm very confused. Help please.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] They may be roosters or they may simply be establishing their pecking order. Are they the chickens in your profile pic? I had a look quick and it seems to me you have 2 Ancona roosters there, but I would suggest posting nice clear pics of each in this section, so we can have a proper look:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

3. madchickenlady

madchickenlady New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Bristol, UK.
    [​IMG]Thanks Sumi.
    I have a horrid feeling you're right as the dominant one started picking on my orp roo this morning. Here's some clearer pics of them.[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I'm sorry but it appears you have two cockerels, :(

5. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Welcome to BYC, glad to have you aboard! I agree with sumi and liz9910, both cockerels.

6. madchickenlady

madchickenlady New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Bristol, UK.
    Oh no. Thank you for your advice, although I'm heartbroken. I love them all so much. I didn't expect them to be so entertaining and affectionate. I guess I'm going to have to let the Anconas go as I haven't the room to get more hens. :(

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I agree with the pack - two boys but they are beautiful. You could try keeping one, maybe he won't overbreed your hens. If he did maybe you could keep him in separate quarters when you don't need fertilized eggs.

10. madchickenlady

madchickenlady New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Bristol, UK.
    Thanks Drumstick. The problem is I only have one hen now. I know I have a hen and cock Orpington. I was hoping the Anconas were both hens. They are so beautiful and so friendly but I can't keep three boys and one girl. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by