Help needed quick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sadiew, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Found a day old baby chick today, we think maybe its Mother has got out of a neighbouring farm, too vast an area to go hunting for owner, but anyway fox go the mum and possibly other chicks this one survived we found her in rain gulley, tried putting her under broody hen but she did not accept her so have brought her home, we cant get her to eat the chicken starter food, was thinking if I make up some ready break and put some of her starter food in it she will eat this but as I am new to keeping chickens I dont want to giver something that will harm her as she is so young, do you think this is a good idea or what do you suggest?

2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Chick starter food is the best - you can try grinding a bit down in a blender if the chick is under a week young.
    It can also be mixed with a little bit of water.
    They can also eat mashed hard boiled or scrambled egg yolk, with additional sand for grit.. but you want the bird to be full of chick starter food and not treats.
    Dip the bird's beak in a water dish a few times so it knows where water is.
    Good luck!

3. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    how long has she not eaten, is she acting like weak and depressed or is she alert and happy if she is weak i dont know how to get her to eat if she is alert she will come to and eat, the only thing i can think of to do if she wont eat is give her a day or 2 and if she doesnt start eating then you may have to put her out of her misery but i would try every thing before that, but making it quick and easy would be better than her starving to death, i hope you will not have to do this like i said dont do it unless it is the last possible thing to do. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:x2 good luck [​IMG]

5. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Thank you all, the starter food with water in it worked good, she took it after I started to tap on the dish, she is so cute I hope she makes it. I also got 2 baby ducks today that I had been waiting on, just didn not know I would be hand rearing a baby chick at same time [​IMG]

6. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    thank the lord she started eating and you wont have to take her out letting out a sigh of relief for you!! [​IMG]

7. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Pics, pics, pics?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    You are a good person to save a chick. Give yourself a nice pat on the back... I would do it, but I am a bit too far away. What kind of ducks did you get?

9. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This morning she is doing good, drinking and eating and quite lively [​IMG]

Will add ducks pics in duck forum, have no idea at moment what breed they are when I asked where I bought them was told just normalmente [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  10. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Good work, Sadlew! Keep us posted with pictures as the little dude (dudette?) grows.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by