HELP needed sexing EEs

KathyR

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Tully, NY
Hi everybody,

With my chick order I ordered 3 EE pullets from MM, now 7 wks old. I have been stressing because I think one is a roo. I know you can't tell me much without a pic but I took loads of pics and could not get them posted, tried and tried. All three look different in color and size and also feather development. Anyway, the largest one has a different comb, definately a pea comb not raised much, maybe 1/4 inch, and just the slightest tint of pink. No signs of wattles at this time. It is a beautiful gold and white color with a fairly good tail growing. The other two have a very flat comb,pale yellow in color,mostly nonexistent. One of them is smaller than the other two and a shorter tail also. I have been reading others posts and want to know is it true that since they are mixed they can all be pullets and still have different combs? At what age will the comb be red if it is a roo, or wattles develop? Thanks for any help you can give.

Kathy

Last edited:
They will get pretty red in the face if they are boys. The tails aren't always a good indicator on ee's because they have the Araucana gene in their heritage, so they all end up with funny tails that develop in strange ways and different stages. Post one of your photos. Maybe I can help you. I've raised a lot of ee roos, but only 2 hens!

I will try again to post those pics, hopefully this weekend. I hate to admit it but I did spend about 3 hrs, on two different occasions trying to do it . I am not very good on the computer. Anyway, at what point would the face turn red? At 7 wks. there is no red, just a slight pink tint on the comb. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
Kathy

Here is a pic of one of my boys at 6 weeks, hope this helps. By 7 weeks his comb was RED. If his/her face is a light color, look for wattles. Any red wattles would be a worry. But, you're right, EE's are mixes and can have very different attributes. Just because one is developing a little differently doesn't make it a roo.

6weeks002.jpg

Thanks for the picture. My little one has a similar comb but not nearly as much color in it. I don't see any sign of wattles. At what age do they come in?
Kathy

here is the best I can do one what I think is a roo EE. It is almost 6 weeks old.
Also it took me a few trys to post pics. Now it is a breeze!!!

24794_ee_roo3.jpg

24794_ee_roo4.jpg

Last edited:
Kathy, my ee roo in the photo in my avatar doesn't have any wattles.

A light pink comb is a sign of a hen. But, just keep watching that face. If it starts turning bright red, you've got a boy! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom