Help needed sexing my 1 day old Cream Legbar chicks

tvlgal85

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 4, 2014
I don't see any white dots, but the coloring and lack of definite stripes on the back are giving me mixed signals.

Chick 1 side

Chick 1 top

Chick 2 side

Chick 2 top

Chick 3 side

Chick 3 top

Chick 4 side

chick 4 top

chick 5 side

chick 5 top

Chick 6 side

chick 6 top
top view 2 including 2 Isbar chicks

I don't see any white dots, but the coloring and lack of definite stripes on the back are giving me mixed signals.

Chick 1 side Male

Chick 1 top

Chick 2 side Male

Chick 2 top

Chick 3 side Female ?

Chick 3 top

Chick 4 side Female ?

chick 4 top

chick 5 side Female

chick 5 top

Chick 6 side Female

chick 6 top
top view 2 including 2 Isbar chicks

To be honest, none of them are marked well. Cream Legbar chicks should be easily sexed and Identifiable as male or female. Your chicks unfortunately are not clearly marked and all the patterns and markings are "muddy". My guesses on them are as said above in red. I hope it helps a little. Once they are a little older I hope you update on them.

Lately we have been seeing CL chicks that are hatching like this and not marked well, its not just yours. People breeding CL need to be also be selecting for good chick down. Chicks that aren't easily sexable should not be used for further breeding.

You are welcome to join us on one of the many Cream Legbar threads, lots of great people with good advise and opinions, the discussions are very educational and friendly. I hope you pop over and post your chicks.

Did you get these from a reliable source? Do you know if they are from one of the older original import lines, or the new Rees line? Just curious.

Last edited:
They are from the Rees line I believe. I was thinking the same on the sexing as you suggested. I hatched out another CL male from another batch of eggs and he had the white dot and he was very easy to tell. thank you for the help. Kim

They are from the Rees line I believe. I was thinking the same on the sexing as you suggested. I hatched out another CL male from another batch of eggs and he had the white dot and he was very easy to tell. thank you for the help. Kim
Your Welcome!

I thought they were Rees Line, it seems to be a pattern of what we are seeing as far as chick down with them. I have Rees Line and older lines and my Rees line was a little muddy with the chick down also.

Congrats on all the chicks! As well as the other little CL male.

Thank you. I got 2 really cute little Isbar chicks too. I'll let you know for sure when they get older on the mix of sexes.

Believe it or not I ended up with 5 females and 1 male. One of the females is much lighter than the other one's and that was really throwing me off with the auto sexing trait.

Back
Top Bottom