Help needed sexing NHR bantams

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Alltmor, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Alltmor

Alltmor New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    Renfrewshire, Scotland
    Hi everyone, I am new to chicken keeping and have successfully hatched my own chicks and they are now in the brooder (almost 4 weeks old).

I have purchased my coop and run and I'm currently preparing it for the elements of Scottish weather.

There appears to be little information available about these birds and I need help sexing my chicks. Bear in mind I am a novice and know nothing, so I'm looking for a way to definitively establish what are the girls and what are the boys. I've read a lot on the subject and I'm even more confused.

The lady I purchased the hatching eggs from has only just started to breed herself and she is learning as she goes along. I have noticed that some of my chicks are much larger than others and have feathered much quicker. Some of them are almost fully feathered whilst the smaller ones have only just started to feather. The lady reckoned that the ones that feathered faster were the girls initially but now she's starting to think that they are the boys.

Can somebody give me some pointers on what to look out for and what features will without doubt allow me to sex my chicks and when? Is there anything specific to the breed etc.? I would like to establish who the boys are as quickly as possible so that I can attempt to rehome them.

Any pictures etc. would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Gary.[​IMG]

2. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    In my VERY limited experience the chicks that develop combs first are male. Also they will have a "straighter" stance & may even "chest-bump" or fly at each other to determine dominance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by