1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

HELP NEEDED SEXING PEKIN BANTAMS @ 8 weeks old!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MamaEggMama, Feb 6, 2018.

1. MamaEggMama

MamaEggMama In the Brooder

Hey all!
    As a new chicken Mama i'm looking to sex my chickens. My partner bought the four Pekin bantams from a local breeder that assured us at a day old that they were all girls... she even charged extra. Now that they are 8weeks old I’m not so sure! I’m thinking that we possibly have one girl and three boys? I’d appreciate any help I can get. I’ve included photos of each chicken with this post!

Also does anyone know if multiple roosters can live together happily?

Kind regards x

Attached Files:

MohammadReza likes this.
  2. Jadesun6

Jadesun6 Songster

Apr 20, 2017
    Yucca, Arizona
    I've only had chickens just shy of a year. I started off with bantams. Unfortunately, I believe you are right. The pullets combs and wattles didnt develop until later on mine. The 3 Pekin that i have are still very small in the comb and wattles. Hopefully someone else can give a second opinion that is more experienced though.
    1. Roo
    2. Pullet
    3. Im thinking roo.
    4. Roo
    Out of the 34 bantams we bought, only 11 were pullets. They were straight run. So we got a second coop to make a bachelor pad. We blocked the vison to the other coop so they couldn't see the hens. They lived in there fine until I butchered them to make room for my standards. A lot of people have rooster flocks. With no hens They don't really fight after they work out a pecking order. ?any people love having a rooster flock. I personally have chickens for eggs. A rooster flock didn't make sense for me.

Here are a couple of my pullets when they were a couple of weeks older then what your are now. They were 12 or 13 weeks.
    20170616_094021.jpg
    20170610_094722.jpg
    Here are a couple of the roos at the same age.
    20170610_094448.jpg
    Once the combs and wattles started coming in on the roos, they grew quickly.

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I never had this breed so cant really help with the gender. Your second question is easy. Roosters will live together to a certain age before they start problems. They must be separated from any hens, since then is when problems arise. Most peeps raise roosters to only eventually process them.
    WISHING YOU BEST and ,,,,,,,,,,,:welcome

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 9 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It would help very much to know how old your Pekins are.

5. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict Premium Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    3 cockerels and 1 pullet.

featheredplanets and Jadesun6 like this.
  6. MohammadReza

MohammadReza In the Brooder

Feb 3, 2018
    IR-IRAN
    Hi, multiple roosters can live together; although they may fight at a particular age when they are becoming an adult rooster, but after a while the winner rooster will be the boss and the rest will coexist.

cavemanrich likes this.
  7. Jadesun6

Jadesun6 Songster

Apr 20, 2017
    Yucca, Arizona
    I'm glad to hear I wasn't off base. I'm sad for MammaEggMamma that I wasn't!

8. Jadesun6

Jadesun6 Songster

Apr 20, 2017
    Yucca, Arizona
    Can you contact the breeder and see about returning/exchanging the roosters? Most breeders will want to make it right. Especially if they were sold as pullets. Sorry about the news.

9. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict Premium Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    X2

10. MamaEggMama

MamaEggMama In the Brooder

Hey Everyone, thanks for replying. I’ve contacted the breeder and she has been very sweet and offered us 3 chochin x Pekins who are alittle older. But I’ve raised these three from hatching and this breeder kills her cockerels I honestly don’t know what to do. I’m so upset.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: