Help needed sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoudenFarms, Sep 27, 2016.

1. LoudenFarms

LoudenFarms New Egg

May 14, 2016
    Port Sydney,ON
    Sick Barred Rock
    Sick Barred Rock

#1 of 1
    3 hours ago
    LoudenFarms
    We have a 9 month old Barred Rock hen who is very docile by nature. She was the bullied hen in our flock so several weeks ago we moved her to a more quiet area with some of our more docile hens. She never really came back to her old self. She stays still and has her neck all curl up into herself. She has now developed a very harsh sounding rasp and gurgling sound. It comes out more when she is stressed or picked up. We have been giving her Neo-chlor (tetracycline based antibiotic) in her water but today she seems to have stopped eating and has runny bright green, almost neon, poop. She just stands still all day with her eyes closed and heavy breathing. I don't want her to suffer but I am willing to wait for antibiotics to work, if anyone can help or has suggestions or may have seen this before. Do I play the wait and see or do we resign the fact we may have to say good bye?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your hen. How does her crop feel? Recheck it in the morning to make sure that it is emptying well. She may have a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma or one of the others. Some are viral, same bacterial, and aspergillosis is caused by mold. Tetracyclines may treat symptos of bacterial illnesses. Has she lost weight in her breastbone area, or does she have a swollen lower belly? Try giving her some chopped egg or tuna, in addition to putting some water and yogurt into a small bowl of her usual feed.Has she been laying eggs recently? She sounds pretty sick, and if you can take her to a vet, It might help. Most times we don't know what is wrong with them unless we do a necropsy after death. Keep her warm enough if she seems to be chilling. Let us know how she gets along.

3. LoudenFarms

LoudenFarms New Egg

May 14, 2016
    Port Sydney,ON
    After my post she took a real downhill turn. We had to put her out of her misery just after my post unfortunately. She had fallen over and was sputtering out her nose. She was a very nervous gal and didn't take stress well. Her tail feathers had been down for months too. Poor pet, we had tried the yogurt and some of the grower feed just to entice her but nothing. We can only guess at this point that it was a respiratory infection.
    Thanks so much for answering!!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry about your hen. [​IMG] I know how hard it is to watch them go down hill. You did the right thing. I hope your heavy heart heals soon. [​IMG]

5. LoudenFarms

LoudenFarms New Egg

May 14, 2016
    Port Sydney,ON
    So here I am again, with a different gal this time....
    For about 3 weeks we have had our one hen (which we bought about a month ago) quarantine on our porch. She has a small cough and seems like congestion. Then her eye started swelling shut. We have been treating her with tetracycline in her water and we treated her eye with an antibiotic oint. It got better and yesterday it is swelled shut again and this time, her ears are leaking and the top of her head by her comb is even swollen. She isn't standing anymore either, -as of early this morning. I am looking for any last ditch efforts......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by