Help needed to verify Jace's Gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KzFamilyFarm, Aug 24, 2013.

1. KzFamilyFarm

KzFamilyFarm New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Hi all:

My family started its chicken raising adventure this summer with the mail order purchase of 6 chicks which were supposed to be all girls. We ordered 2 rir, 1 barred rock, 2 ee and a buff orpington. Unfortunately 1 rir died in transit to leave us with five. They are all now 13 weeks old. One of our ee is larger and more aggressive than the rest of the girls and we are afraid she may be a roo and need help to make that determination. Attached are photos. Please provide your opinion and why. If you need a particular view, I can take and post more photos, let me know.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    That is 100% boy, unfortunately. He's got an uneven pattern which is common with males and the hackle and saddle feathers on him are pointed. You can also see the iridescent green tail feathers coming in. He is a very pretty boy though.

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    X2

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    agreed it's a boy. the pattern as said, plus the yellowing on neck and feathers on back by tail are "roo feathers" coming in.

No chance of this being a pullet.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    X4, that's a cockerel 100%. Besides what others have said, that's a whole lotta comb for an EE.

Most hatcheries will give you your money back on the chick, since most have a 90% accuracy guarantee on their sexed birds.

Oh, and--[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X5, he's definitely a cockerel because of the coloring, comb size and color, hackle and saddle feathers, and body shape.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, rooster.

8. KzFamilyFarm

KzFamilyFarm New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Thanks for your replies.

We were afraid that was case, especially since Jace has been crowing in the am from time to time (we have heard hens can crow also).

We believe we have found a good home for him. The person who built our coop (Mark at Kings Berry Farm in East Brookfield, MA; excellent coop), agreed to take him if she turned out to be a he.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by