Help needed w/ interior layout

armednhappy

Hatching
Nov 13, 2016
What a great site, am learning lots. This winter I have been building my first coop, and I'm struggling with where to place roosts/nesting boxes/etc.

The coop is 8x16, with an additional overhang/ open air storage area. I am planning on dividing the interior into thirds: one section for food and misc storage, one coop for layers, and anot her segregated coop for boilers. I've attached some pics so hopefully you can get the gist of my layout.

I originally planned on placing the roosts on the right side (tall side) of the coop, but only have about 15" between the wall and the man-door. I'm unsure of this enough space to allow for 2 staggered roosts.

So let me know how YOU would deck out this coop!

[/IMG][/IMG]

Put your roosts (make them easily removable) in the middle of the coop, with the nest boxes on the 15" deep wall of the middle coop. That a perfect depth for a next box and you can easily walk in and reach into the next boxes.

Make the door swing off the left hand side, and it will create a natural barrier when you open the door for birds trying to sneak out, and a door stop.

Tmarsh, I like that idea, if I understand you. If I made a ladder type roost (brown in this pic) and hinged it (blue) so I could swing it up for access/cleaning, would that work?

Tmarsh, I like that idea, if I understand you. If I made a ladder type roost (brown in this pic) and hinged it (blue) so I could swing it up for access/cleaning, would that work?

That would work. I'm not a big fan of tiered roosts, but I know a lot of people use them with no issues. Swinging up like that would certainly be preferable to removing screws to get them out. You'll need to watch the length of the stringer on the sides so the arc of the swing doesn't interfere with the swing of the mandoor.

Back
Top Bottom