help needed with bobwhite quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pdb1, Nov 13, 2013.

1. pdb1

pdb1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    newport souht wales uk
    please can you tell me what the smallist cage i can keep and breed a pair of bobwhites i understand its best to keep them in pairs why do people keep bobs too eat or sell there eggs here in the uk there is a good eggs for sale any advive on breeding them would help me thank you all paul

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Bobwhite quail need at least 4 square feet per bird. So a pair needs to be kept in a cage at least 2 ft x 4 ft in size. They are very active birds and will stress very easily and hurt each other if they don't have enough space. They also need some hidey places or branches propped up in the corners of the cage to keep them calm. Bobwhites flush very easily and will boink their heads on the ceiling and can do brain damage this way.

3. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    They need at least 4sq feet per bird and they prefer sheltered pens with brush/hiding places to comfort them.

4. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Sorry to say exactly what you did, I was writing when you happened to post:) haha

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

6. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Haha I guess they do! Even though most of that info I learned from you!

7. AnnetteM

AnnetteM Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    And whats the best height for a bobwhite cage? Do they like to sleep on branches or do they sleep on the ground?

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If you are keeping them in a cage, keep the ceiling height around 12 inches so they can't fly up and hit their heads. Quail don't roost in branches for the night, however they will climb around on branches during the day. The do enjoy real foliage or even fake foliage in their cages for a secure natural feeling. But they will sleep at night on the floor of a pen.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by