Help Needed with Broody and Bird Lice!

FlyingByTheSeatOfMyPants

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 14, 2009
The Jersey Shore
My daughter has a standard Blue Cochin who has been broody since late April, and we've tried every trick we know of to break her of the habit. Now, she's developed a bad case of bird lice. We tried bathing her today in soapy water, but that didn't do much. We're completely frustrated with her. We ran out of the food grade DE weeks ago and have been waiting for a mail order for weeks (I'm not sure it was working that great anyway)!

We do eat the eggs of the EEs that share the coop with her, so we're too afraid to use something that might be dangerous. What really works??!!
he.gif

You can get some Poultry dust from TSC, that should work. Make sure you dust under her wings, around her vent, etc. Dust her really good. I would also dust all the others and the coop.

If she is broody, she is not laying. Quit fooling around with DE. It doesn't work. Use a pesticide poultry dust on her and don't worry about poison eggs, She is not laying. Dusting a broody will not make the EE eggs bad to eat.

Hi, I had the same problem. I bought some stuff called Natural Pyretrin Concentrate... Mixed it 1 part to 9 parts of water. Bathed her and then cleaned and sprayed her coop.. No more bugs!

Quote:
I eat the eggs too and I always put it in their nesting boxes!!! De works just ok but it doesnt hurt so I use it too. I saw some on a few a my girls and I use Ivermectin pour on too within 24 hours-no more buggies
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
I eat the eggs too and I always put it in their nesting boxes!!! De works just ok but it doesnt hurt so I use it too. I saw some on a few a my girls and I use Ivermectin pour on too within 24 hours-no more buggies
sickbyc.gif

I also use the Ivomec pour on, but I do know on that there is a waiting limit, before you can eat the eggs. I think anyway, I've been wrong before, though.
smile.png

Where I live we don't have a TSC close by, so I found something on the TSC website called Y-Tec Garden and Poultry dust. Is this what you were talking about? It seems to have the permethrin (sp?) in it in powder form. Believe it or not, I found that Amazon.com has it for $6.00 plus shipping. I hope this is the right stuff!

Quote:
sickbyc.gif

I also use the Ivomec pour on, but I do know on that there is a waiting limit, before you can eat the eggs. I think anyway, I've been wrong before, though.
smile.png

I have actually almost bathed in it! Dang if I didnt spill half a bottle down my arms and legs! If I didnt die from that, I figured eating the eggs werent going to kill me LOL....

Back
Top Bottom