Help needed with hatching silkie eggs

saddlebredgirl

In the Brooder
May 10, 2016
I have 3 silkie eggs i need to hatch. 3days after the first chick came out mom stopped sitting on the rest of her eggs. This morning they where cold so i took them inside. One succesfully hatched a few hours later. Will mom accept the chick as she didnt hatch it herself? And what must i do to succesfully hatch the rest of the eggs? Where must i keep them? They are currantly under a light with the newly hatched chick. Also when must i take the chick away from the eggs and when must it start eating?

The remaining eggs, if the chicks inside are still alive, should be placed in an incubator to finish hatching. Once hatched, you should be able to place the chicks under the hen at night if the oldest one is a week or younger. Assuming that they are the same color silkies, she should not be able to tell the difference and will take care of them all. Chicks are supposed to be able to live 2 days after hatching without food or water, but since they are under a heat lamp, I would give him something to drink to prevent him from getting dehydrated or go ahead and place him under the hen.

Back
Top Bottom