Help needed with lockdown!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marcmar, Jan 25, 2017.

1. marcmar

marcmar New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    Estonia
    Hi ive got 10 quail eggs in my homemade styrofoam incubator. (i candled them and they all seem to be fertile and alive)
    I am on my 15th day and ive decided to go lockdown. So ive read some articles about the lockdown and ive understood that the humidity needs to be around 60-80% and the temp around 37.0-37.2 celcius. So am i right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So ive got this system going on here that under the eggs and the lamp are some ice trays wich have been filled with water and i can refill the trays through a hole. And im actually 14yrs and this is my school project wich i came up with and im really nerveous. So can anyone tell me if im doing things right. Il be happy to take suggestions :) oh and 1 more thing,is it normal that i think i saw the eggs wobble a bit?

ps:sorry for my grammar,im dont speak english well because i live in estonia.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Hi! Sounds like you're doing good, the movement is a great sign as it means the babies are moving inside the egg. Humidity is okay, really doesn't need to be over 70%.

Your temps are a little low, you want to aim for 37.5 degrees if your incubator has a fan or 38.6 degrees measured at the top of the eggs if you have no fan. You'll want to bump that up a bit and if your temperature has been that low the whole time it may delay the hatch a little so don't panic if they haven't hatched by day 18, they could just be a little behind.

And don't worry about your English, you're doing better than a lot of native English speakers here :)

3. marcmar

marcmar New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    Estonia
    Hi! Sounds like you're doing good, the movement is a great sign as it means the babies are moving inside the egg. Humidity is okay, really doesn't need to be over 70%.

Your temps are a little low, you want to aim for 37.5 degrees if your incubator has a fan or 38.6 degrees measured at the top of the eggs if you have no fan. You'll want to bump that up a bit and if your temperature has been that low the whole time it may delay the hatch a little so don't panic if they haven't hatched by day 18, they could just be a little behind.

And don't worry about your English, you're doing better than a lot of native English speakers here

Hi again, on day 1-14 i've been holding the temp around the 37.7 range and when i got to day 14 i got confused because i read a few articles about the lockdown and i lowered the temp to 37.2 and now i've bumped up the temp to 37.5 as you said. And some questions is it bad to go over 70% on the humidity? And is it normal that some eggs are not moving anyomre? is it maybe becuase the babies are too big to move inside the eggs? Oh and thanks for complimenting my english, you are too kind haha :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  4. marcmar

marcmar New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    Estonia

Hey theres a crack in one of the eggs and i can hear chirping inside, is there something i can do?

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Nothing you need to do, it popped and now will rest, finish absorbing it's yolk, and then hatch.

6. marcmar

marcmar New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    Estonia
    Thank you for your support. I have 4 eggs with tiny cracks and much more chirping. Im very excited :D

7. marcmar

marcmar New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    Estonia
    [​IMG]

THANK you so much for helping me :)

I will credit you in my project

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Awesome, looks like a good hatch! Thanks for the credit!

9. marcmar

marcmar New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    Estonia
    9 out of 10 hatched :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by