Help needed with sick? Chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Super Chickenman, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Super Chickenman

Super Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    I have a gold sex link that is coughing and sneezing. She started this about 3 weeks ago when we brought them home. Thinking they might all get sick, I gave them Agrimycin-343 in their water. She ceased the behavior almost immediately. Last night... it came back. I have again redosed with the agrimycin. I have not found any poop that looks out of the ordinary. (they are free ranging though). I am using pine shavings for bedding and pine shavings and oat or barley straw for nest boxes. Is she alergic to something? Is there something else I should be giving her? Is this a normal thing even?

I watched her go to bed tonight and fed her a few scratch grains so I got a real close look at her. Her eyes were clear, no snottyness, no rattling when breathing. no gasping for air. No swelling anywhere.

Help!

2. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Quote:I'm sorry for your hen. I do not have any answers but, am curious if anyone else will chime in. I have one hen that always sounds like she is sneezing. I've had her a year and I did dose with antibiotics and it seemed to go away but, a week or so after it came back. I'm curious what could make this happen too. Only thing I did out of the ordinary was dust them and I'm wondering if that could of triggered something...Anyone else have any ideas?

3. Super Chickenman

Jul 25, 2010
    Can anyone help me with this? Tonight she went to bed under the holly hocks. didn't go to the coop. She is sounding worse with a gurgling type breathing. Her eyes are still clear and she still seems perky. No snotty nose or anything. Is this something I should give Tylan for?

4. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Do the sneezes become more frequent after you clean the coop/ replace the shavings?

5. Super Chickenman

Jul 25, 2010
    Dosen't seem too. I clean the coop every other day by mainly pulling out the droppings and fluffing the shavings. Think I should try stripping the coop?

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    When you say "brought them home", where did you get them? How old are they?
    Trying to figure out if she was sick when you got her. Maybe something different in a new environment or something else.

7. Super Chickenman

Jul 25, 2010
    I think they are this years pullets. One of the girls has gone through a molt so she is a little older. I bought them from an induvidual that also sells coops etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by