Help NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by YMR, Oct 13, 2011.

1. YMR

YMR New Egg

Oct 13, 2011
    I was out checking on our girls today and to my surprise found a baby chick! The low outside will be in the 40s. I know that it is too cold for the poor thing. But if I bring it inside and keep it under a light like I have done with our previous chicks, will it be ok? Can a single chick survive? Any help would be appreciated.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You must have a broody somewhere....Maybe mama is still sitting on more eggs? You can put one chick in brooder, but it will peep ALOT! They need company....(It will survive though...)

3. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    There is no mother hen taking care of the chick? Anyway, a single chick can certainly be raised under a light and survive.

4. YMR

YMR New Egg

Oct 13, 2011
    Thank you so much for the advice. I am pretty new to chickens. There is a broody hen who was with her. Would she be ok with then hen outside? We have about 25 hens and 3 roosters. They are all very friendly but I was afraid that they would not like the chick. Our chickens have a large coop and a fenced in area that is about 1/4 acre. I do not think that the chick would go in the coop. It has a 3 inch step to get inside. Should I make a ramp?

5. DebbieF

DebbieF Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    New Richmond, WI
    I will usually seperate the hen with the chick(s) for a week or two. Mom can take care of them and it gives them a chance to get a little bigger and stronger.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:You could get a dog crate and put the momma and baby in it with food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by