Help needed??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TexasJ, Dec 10, 2012.

1. TexasJ

TexasJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Leghorns or Rhode Island reds?
    Ill be finishing my coop this week, I've never had hens before but looking forward to it I want eggs not meat. These are the two breeds that I saw best for eggs but I don't know which one to go with? Any help would be great. I plan on having six hens my coop is going to be 6'x4' and run about 9'x12'
    [​IMG]

2. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Why not both? The (white) Leghorns will lay white eggs and the RIR's will lay brown.

3. Pullet Surprise

Pullet Surprise Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you will be happier in the long run if you mix it up a bit...go for both.

4. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Still really new at these I wasn't sure if they would get along or have different needs. Also I heard leghorns are jumpy would that make the reds scared?

5. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    I do like the Idea of having two different eggs though

6. Pullet Surprise

My leghorn is rather mellow, fits in well with the others. A mix will give you a chance to learn the pros and cons of both breeds...both are good breeds . Their needs should be the same.

7. Nike

Nike Young&Beautiful

Jul 8, 2012
    My Coop
    I say both too! I love having a mixed flock!

8. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Looks like no strong disagreement so I guess both is the way to go also was wondering if I should get the 3 or 5 month old hens?

9. Pullet Surprise

Depends on a couple of things, how soon do you want them to start laying and where are you getting them from. This is the less productive season for most breeds although there are those who will lay through the winter.

10. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Of chores would like instant eggs but the wait and be surprised I think would be good also but yeah the soon the better. There's a lady not far from here that sells them a know a ton of people who have got theirs from her and are really satisfied here's here page sorry I don't thank she has a site though
    Mini acres
    http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/grd/3460068490.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by