help needed

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by tashtash, Jan 15, 2013.

1. tashtash

tashtash Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Guys need help my hens are all good and healthy but this one her comb is lop sided has been since it started to grow. is this ok what does it mean.

2. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Many breeds have combs large enough they fall over... hens included.

If you don't see any other signs of illness (pale comb, listlessness, sneezing or drooping appearance, etc) then the comb is probably just her genetics.

Here is a recent thread for showing off 'floppy combs'... check it out! [​IMG]

use the search block above and look up comb types, there are probably a few other threads about the different types... and there are a bunch of different comb types.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  3. tashtash

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    [​IMG]

4. tashtash

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Its hard to see but its really floppy compared to my other hens

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Crazy Eyes had a fold over comb when she was young
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As she matured her comb eventually stood straight.

[​IMG]

Crazy Comb Shirley has a strange comb,too

[​IMG]

Comb shape, size, and rigidity is a matter of genetics. As long as the comb is a nice healthy pink color all should be well. However, it is not normal for hen who has an erect comb to develop a pale comb which flops over.

6. tashtash

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Yeah its really bright red pink as she got bigger it just went floppy. i hope she is ok.

7. little farmer

little farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

she's alright. :) Some combs get so big that they just flop over. My one hen has a comb that flops over, and my friend has a hen and her comb it HUGE like it's probably three times the size of that one. Hens can still have floppy combs.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a RIR who has a very Cosmopolitan "beret" look, ooh la la! And a white Leghorn with a floppy comb. Perfectly normal. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by