1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Help needed...!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GollumsBrother, Jul 26, 2013.

1. GollumsBrother

GollumsBrother Chirping

Jul 21, 2013
    UK
    I've just got 5 hens and have never kept chickens before. Do I need to take precautions and cover them in all the powders that are on the market!?! There seems to be all sorts of lotions, potions and powders for sale! If I buy them all then it will cost a fortune!! Please advise!?!

Matt :)

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The short answer is no. You don't need to use anything unless your chickens have a problem. I personally don't use medications or chemicals unless there is no other option. We focus on raising our birds in a healthy environment and using natural methods to prevent worms and things like that.

ETA: I have kept chickens for about six years now and I've never used anything more than blue-kote a couple times on a wound. We have never had any issues with worms, mites, etc.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  3. GollumsBrother

GollumsBrother Chirping

Jul 21, 2013
    UK
    So... My 5 new hens have plenty of room, their run is 6mtr x 5mtr and the coop is also big enough, with a roosting bar 5foot long inside the coop.
    They also have a 10foot roosting bar outside.

My hens don't ever go into their coop on their own! Is that right? Also they don't seem to go roost on their inside bar when I put them away at night!

I guess they're chicken basics, however I'm still learning!?!

4. buckaroogirl

buckaroogirl In the Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alberta
    Did you just put them into the coop? Is their feed inside? How old are they?

I bought some chickens for my first time last year from the Hutterite colony, since they were production chickens they had no idea how to scratch, roost or lay in a nest box. Not until I bought new chickens did they learn how to be a chicken!
    My young guys still haven't roosted yet--incubator chicks, but my chicks that were raised by momma are roosting already, and they're Half the others age.
    Just takes time for them to learn what to do.

5. GollumsBrother

GollumsBrother Chirping

Jul 21, 2013
    UK
    The coop is 2 levels. There is hay downstairs, with food and water! Up the ramp there is a roost bar and the floor is covered in sawdust and next to that is a nest box! My hens are 15weeks old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: