Help needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pinkaboo, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    My chicken is very sleepy and I'm scared she will die
    I've read posts most say coccidiosis but it could also be because of the bark that was put in the run today, it had a really strong fumey smell but I let my husband convince me it would be fine!

I've moved the hen inside I got her to eat but she's so sleepy its really disturbing to see
    I bought some coxcid to have on hand just incase, should I wait a bit( its 4 am in UK ) so it will be a few hours before I will do anything, or would you just treat all the birds? It says its medication for pigeons and poultry, but not eating birds so guessing I can't eat the eggs either, its much harder to get meds in the UK , I can't get the treatment you normally mention,
    This is what I've got,
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Petlife-Har...8&qid=1406602679&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Coxcid

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she ? The medication you have should be started right away if you suspect coccidiosis. It won't do them harm if they don't have cocci, but better be safe. It is amprollium, so it has no egg withdrawal period. Does your husband know what kind of bark it is? Cedar shavings are not good for chickens, and anything with mold would be bad. The symptoms of cocci are lethargy, poor appetite, diarrhea (sometimes with blood,) ruffled feathers and puffing up or hunching.

3. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK

Hi
    Sorry for delay BYC threw me out( something about a loop link?)
    Ok she's only 7 wks and four days! Not a prime example of the breed
    Funny toes and comb looks like melted plastic
    [​IMG]
    Anyway good news is she is much improved, not sleepy today and I've put her back in the main run
    Only slight concern is how hot she feels, but certainly no runny poo or any other symptoms
    So I'm just going to keep an eye on her, and the others !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by