Help! Needing suggestions for a good food blender...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Intheswamp, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    I hope it's ok to post this here, I'm figuring all the good cooks frequent this forum so I figured it'd be the best place to ask for some help.

I've got a good friend who will be having some heavy-duty dental restoration done in the near future and will need her "chewy" food ran through a blender so that she can eat it. I guess the "chewy food" will probably be the meat group? If anybody has any recommendations for a good food blender we would appreciate it.

Here are some thoughts...

** Ease of clean-up is a must...I think if it is easy to clean then it will be used more often. If hard to clean...it won't be used often.
    ** Not exceedingly large in size...counter-top storage space is at a premium.
    ** Upper price range I'm guessing will be around $150...less is better!
    ** Good quality.

Thanks for your help!
    Ed

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    I got a Hamilton Beach after my last blender top broke.

it is a 12 speed. I just toss the top into the dishwasher. Sorry I can't think how much I paid for it.
    I run leftover roast beef in it for sandwiches for DH sandwiches for lunch.

3. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Thanks for the feedback, herfrds.

I'll take a look at th HB's.

Currently I'm looking at an Oster 4093. It seems to have good reviews and has several accessories (such as a small canister that replaces the OE larger canister).

Hoping for some more input while I'm gone to look at the HB's. [​IMG]

Ed

4. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    In looking at the Oster 4093, it looks to have only a couple of speeds. Would having a bunch of speeds a good thing? Like I said in my first post, it will be used primarily for pureeing(sic?) meats.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me,
    Ed

5. NWChicks

NWChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    If you're just planning to puree meats and the like you may want to consider a baby food grinder. I haven't used one in years but I know they're still around. If it's suitable for making baby food it ought to work for pureeing for a grown up. I have a Bosch mixer that has a blender. When my DH had oral surgery I pureed a McD's Quarter Pounder with cheese and separately pureed fries and ketchup in it. It worked pretty well but I have no idea how well their stand alone blenders do. Now I have a Vitamix and could blend up a Buick if I wanted to! [​IMG]

6. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    I agree on the baby food grinder: much less expensive and does the job for this temporary situation. Consider pureeing tender cooked chicken with cooked potatoes and carrots for a sort of pureed stew. Season it well with salt and pepper and ground poultry seasoning. I think it will taste better than just pureed chicken. Foods like brunswick stew and homemade tomato bisque would also be good. You are such a good friend to do this! ((((hugs and pats on the back))))

p.s. and get yourself an immersion blender if you don't have one; they are wonderful!

7. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I looked at the baby food grinders and they look very interesting. One description states that it removes seeds, bones, etc.,. which is pretty neat! I've got a new grandbaby coming (second one) the first of the year so that seems like something to consider. I think, though, that if my friend has to use the manual grinder for a steak that she will probably just do without it. I know that right now she's ordering/cooking things that are easy to chew...opting for hamburger steak over a ribeye, etc.,. I'd like to make it where she could enjoy what she wants.

Those Vitamix's *are* nice. [​IMG] A Buick, eh? [​IMG]

Currently I'm looking at that Oster 4093...one of the options for it is a small canister to blend it, which will probably a good size for the use it's intended for. It's $68 which is kind of midstream in prices of regular blenders and it has good reviews. Only thing I'm wondering about is whether having only two speeds is a problem...???

Thanks for the feedback,
    Ed

8. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Hey, that chicken recipe is making me hungry! [​IMG]

I responded to NWchicks regarding the baby food grinder so I won't repeat myself here. [​IMG]

An immersion blender...sounds like something that I could make a BIG mess with as coordinated as I am. [​IMG] But, I'll look at those, too.

I don't know about me being such a good friend, but I know that she is. [​IMG] It looks like it will be a rather drawn out process...covering close to a year in time before she will probably be able to eat chewy things. The problem is I can't get her to start moving in that direction yet....gotta go get some matches and a pile of lightered and build a fire under her. [​IMG]

Thanks for the feedback!
    Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by