Help - Neighbor's chicken escaped and now lives in my yard!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheMost, Dec 18, 2007.

1. TheMost

TheMost Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Hello,
    A neighbor from down the street was making their first foray into raising chickens for egglaying. They had 2 hens but foxes attacked the coop, killing one. The surviving hen, who I now call "Henny Penny" (I know, very original), escaped and is now living in my front yard. I'm fairly certain she is at least 1 year old. Henny Penny is also somewhat skittish in the sense that she won't let me pet or touch her but smart enough to show up at my front door every morning for some food. I feed her frozen corn which I defrost in the microwave and she loves it. I have no idea where she's nesting and I believe Henny Penny is making the rounds with other neighbors for munchies. One neighbor told me that she feeds her granola. Henny Penny is now the street celebrity!

I live in Long Island, NY so we get some severe weather but never for extended periods of time. I also have 5 dogs (3 large) so trying to capture Henny Penny and keeping her in my backyard is not a good option. I want to make sure Henny Penny thrives without being my newest pet. I'm happy to provide her with food but what else should I be doing? Can Henny Penny survive/thrive on her own or should I try to provide her with shelter? There are plenty of bushes and trees in the neighborhood.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bobby

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You need to call the owner first, then animal control. That hen will not
    survive long on her own.

Another option in to catch her. A full grown hen is fast, but catchable.
    If caught someone will take her.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    ummmm I have to ask the obvious question...

Why isn't the neighbor who originally got the chickens making an effort to catch/house his/her own chicken??

She probably has a favorite place where she goes every night to roost - if she's survived this long she might just have good odds. Having said that, it's just a matter of time before a dog is going to get that chicken unless she is provided shelter where she can be kept up at night.

If you can catch her, I'm betting if you post it here in the buy/sell/giveaway category that some BYC'r would be glad to take her as an addition to their flock.

If you want to provide for her, pick up some layer pellets/feed at the farm supply store for her and leave a dish out where she can get to it. The treats she gets from the neighborhood along with the foraging she does is keeping her alive, but the layer feed would be helpful this winter when grazing is not as good and/or the ground is covered with snow.

Bless you for trying to help this wayward chicken!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    With Susan's beautifully written comment, alas there is nothing left to say, Susan, very well said.

5. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Sorry, NC didn't mean to steal you thunder... [​IMG]

I can go back and edit out some of it if you want me to! LOL

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree with that. It is a matter of time before it gets eaten by something or killed by someone's pet wanting to play with it. Layer pellets is a good idea and is healthier than corn. Corn to them is like candy to us! No wonder she loves your porch! I say figure out why the original owners don't want her and just adopt her. It doesn't take much to keep her happy and if you just coop her up in her own kennel with shelter, she will even give you eggs. Don't forget to get her some friends too and start the chicken addiction! [​IMG]

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Please try and catch her before the dogs do!! Everyone is right, you shouldn't have any trouble getting her adopted.

8. nccountrygirl

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Quote:No Susan what I meant to say is that you wrote very nicely and you said all of it very well. I can't think of any thing to add to what you said, and it was your thunder. [​IMG]

9. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Oh, NC - i was just kiddin ya... I feel an unusually strong urge to reply to every BYC post today...maybe it's just because I'm trying to IGNORE these two bators full of eggs that JUST ARE TAKING TOO LONG TO HATCH today...

must.....stay.....calm....and....distracted.....

LOL

10. nccountrygirl

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I've been watching with fascination as I don't have a bator and have never hatched any eggs. Good luck with your hatch. I will be watching tonight when I get home from work. Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by