Help new broody on eggs and 40 eggs in Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kentuckyrain, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Kentuckyrain

Kentuckyrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2015
    Northern Michigan
    Just looking for some advice,,, so my broody hen,, is just under a year old,,, she tried to be broody a few months back in the fall, did not work out, but now,,, she has been sitting on 7 eggs and going on day 14 now,, She is a black Showgirl,,,

I have about 40 eggs in my incubator, I started my incubator 2 days before Precious went broody,,

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck with all of your incubations.

3. Creeksidefarm2

Creeksidefarm2 New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    what is your question?

4. Kentuckyrain

Jun 4, 2015
    Northern Michigan
    How can I get the eggs inside her nest, and have her be the mum????????????????/

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    All 40 eggs? That's an impossibility.

6. Kentuckyrain

Jun 4, 2015
    Northern Michigan
    ok, agree,,, so what if I set up the brooder,, inside the coop,,,,,

7. Creeksidefarm2

Creeksidefarm2 New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    Oh, well you can just slip eggs under her, she should take them or you can wait until they hatch and give her the chicks. I have done both very successfully. Wear gloves in case she gets a bit persickity.

8. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Do you have a separate section in the coop where you can set up a nest? When I hatch eggs in the incubator and one of my hens goes broody, I slip the babies under her at night and in the morning she is a happy momma. Never put more than 20 babies as they is not enough room under her to cover the chicks. Maybe if you have a separate section with heat, it may work. If it is warm enough they will not have to hide under her to stay warm, they may just climb on her back or near her. Good luck with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by