1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, new but concerned

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by localh2o, Apr 17, 2007.

1. localh2o

localh2o Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    Hello i have a few eggs in a homemade bator, i started them 20 days ago. I started off with 12 but now I am down to 6. I candled them at day 18 and i seen one side of the egg just dark and the fatter part of the egg had an air pocket but the chicks werent moving. It is now day 20 and I see or hear nothing, I am worried because throughout the life the temps sometimes raised to about 104* because instead of a thermostat i just used a dimmer. I flipped the eggs everyday and seen development all the way to day 18. Should i be worried that on day 18 i didnt see any movement? I know i still have one day left but from what i read on this site most people see the eggs wobbling or hear peeps but i have none of this.

2. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I wouldn't be to worried. If they are growing normal it should be hard to see movement at 18 days. They will be pretty crammed for space. Mine didn't start cheeping till day 21 and they never wobbled. Good luck tomarrow.

3. localh2o

Apr 17, 2007
    thank you for the relief

4. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    localh2o can you see any pips yet? Keep us posted.

5. localh2o

Apr 17, 2007
    well today is day 21 but on the first day i didnt put them in the bator till about 10pm so offically day 21 is in 11 hrs for me. No pips yet still just lazy eggs

6. localh2o

Apr 17, 2007
    well day 21.5 and still no peep, wobble, or pips.

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

localh2o.....give them a few more days. Maybe the temp dropped once? They might be delayed? I am crossing my fingers for you. [​IMG] Good luck!!!

8. localh2o

Apr 17, 2007
    ya day 22.5 my first hatch 1 down 5 to go

9. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    GREAT!
    What kind of babies do you have hatching?

10. localh2o

Apr 17, 2007
    Well i know everyone will have their sides to it but they are "fighting chicken" breeds, 3 are called black/blue hennies and the other 3 are pure dark blue. And no i do not fight these birds i just love the way they look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by