HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! New Chick...Feet turned under, it can't walk!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by funfeatheredfeet, Jul 10, 2010.

1. funfeatheredfeet

funfeatheredfeet Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    The Beautiful Ozarks
    Please, can someone tell me if there is anything I can do to help this chick!!??? Both it's feet are curled under and when it tries to walk it does not flatten it's feet!! Anything I can do?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    If it is the legs this is a great link for how to treat spraddle/splay leg...
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

If it is the toes that are curled you can cut a little piece of light cardboard (like a cereal box weight) and straighten out the little chicks feet using this as a base splint under its foot and holding the little toes in place with a piece of bandaid (same type as in the photos in the link above). I had this for the first time with a little chick in our last hatch and it worked like a charm...can`t tell the difference although I will not use it for breeding just in case it was caused by something genetic. It can also be a vit. deficiency and a little poly-vi-sol apparently helps too. There are some great posts here with photos if you do a search.
    Regarding splinting.... I did learn that the bandaid works better as I had used white medical tape at first and all the others were pecking at poor little Paddlefoot`s feet. Either it was a conincidence that the novelty wore off or the colour of the bandaid was less interesting.
    Good luck. Maybe if you can post a photo the more experienced BYCers will have added or different advice.

And...I left the splint on for 5 days and still noticed one toe was just slightly off so resplinted for another 5 days.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  3. funfeatheredfeet

funfeatheredfeet Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    The Beautiful Ozarks
    Oh, from the bottom of my heart, Thank You!!!! What a brilliant idea...little paddle feet! Gonna go get a cereal box, right now, and get to work! I, soooooooooooooooooo, appreciate you!!!
    God Bless you many times over!
    Hugs, Rhonda

4. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Good luck. I hope it works for your little one....let me know how things turn out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by