Help! New chick just hatched and...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CBarrett, Dec 22, 2011.

1. CBarrett

CBarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    Attention experts and experienced ones.. One chick just hatched and has a little red "sac" hanging out of her rear end.. Is that the rest of the yolk that didn't get absorbed completely? Will she be okay if I just leave her in the incubator until that is absorbed or falls off? She seems energetic and active, peeping a lot and moving around.. Help!

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I would leave her be.

3. Jamezb_tx

Jamezb_tx Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    I had one chick with this too...I let it dry out...after that I clipped it a little shorter so the other chicks would leave it alone...the rest fell off naturally.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Left over yolk is still yellow. It sounds like it might be her umbilical stump. Leave her in the bator or the others will peck at it.

5. CBarrett

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    [​IMG]

Chick has been in the 'bator for an hour now after hatch - the "little" red sac is now much bigger. Should I be worried or just let her be? I'm a nervous Mom!!

6. CBarrett

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    Here's a better photo.. It does NOT look good! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Put her in a teacup or coffee cup to keep her off of the wire [​IMG] [​IMG] It doesn't look good right now but don't let her snag on the wire [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. CBarrett

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    K... She's in the teacup now. [​IMG] Thanks, Melissa - I hope she can get through this! (I hope I can get through this, too..)

9. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] Brace yourself [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] It doesn't look good [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Leave her be and concentrate on the others that hatched [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Sometimes you will lose one [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am so sorry [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] She was loved while she was here [​IMG] [​IMG] That's all we can do [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Dont know, but I would try to seperate her from the others.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by