Help !!!!!!!!!! NEW CHICKEN INTRODUCED!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by love_stuz, Feb 4, 2012.

1. love_stuz

love_stuz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    i have two hens and just bought a new one. She is fighting with the others and i dont know what to do? I'm not sure whether she is hurting the other two or not but they sound sad?? WHAT DO I DO??!!!!! :s

2. thumper29a

thumper29a Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    i'm no expert but i would figure out a way to seperate them in same coop for a week where they can see each other and then let her out with two different feeding spots maybe idk

3. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Are they actually hurting each other - causing blood? They may just be figuring out the new pecking order. Perhaps the new hen has a dominant personality and is trying to put the other two in their places below her. If they're all about the same size/age, don't assume that the girls who were there first will end up the ones on top.

If there's no blood/injury, I'd let it go and see if it works itself out. Chicken pecking order can look cruel to us humans but it works for them and a well-established hierarchical order is vital to a smooth operating flock. Just make sure you have enough room for all of them so if one wants to escape for a while, she can.

4. luvmyEs

luvmyEs Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks for posting this! I just got 2 more hens, a RIR and a mutt, and I am worried about my silkie girls! I'll be watching this thread!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Unless they are physically hurting one another to a serious degree, let them work it out. It is normal chicken behavior that occurs every time the pecking order is disrupted. Chicken society can be quite brutal.

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I always introduce new members to the flock using what I call 'the playpen method," which is described in my blog here: http://eggcartonlabels.blogspot.com/2011/06/integrating-new-flock-members-playpen.html

In the future, it's a good idea to add more than one new chicken to an existing flock at a time so as to minimize the amount of attention the new girl is going to receive from the others AND to give her a partner to pal around with given that the others are already bonded. I hope this helps. :)

7. merkjonson

merkjonson New Egg

Sep 9, 2011
    we used to fill up a five gallon bucket with water when the hens start fighting dunk them in the bucket of water it cools them off they usually calm down after that

8. love_stuz

Nov 13, 2011
    Well i found out that the other two are hurting the new one, the back of her neck is now featherless, today i have seperated them so the can still socialize but what should i do from now? leave them together, or seperated??

9. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
  10. love_stuz

Nov 13, 2011
    Thanks that website was really helpfull, we are also bying a new one taday, for the new hen (Peri Peri) so she can have a mate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by