Help new chicken mamma here and a week old is dieing in our hands !.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimmybee, Jun 25, 2011.

1. kimmybee

kimmybee Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Waddell
    my kids are holding this little guy, he is just a week and a few days. i always thought he may be sick, as he was most calm of our six new guys. but found him on his side today, a little crust around his beak, he is still alive but barely. eyes are closed and breathing slow heart slow. tried warming him up but doubt he was cold.??? it is a little Belgium quail.... took the other chicks out of box and gave a new one with fresh bedding, washed water bowl and dish but only with water outside. how much to i need to disinfect? i didn't really see any signs of illness other than this week he just seemed sleepier and quieter than the others. i am really worried about mereks? we have only had him for a week so I don't know what happened. really really sad, he was one of my favorites and he is my adopted daughters chick and she is currently grieving the loss of her parents delayed after 3 years. bad timing. she doesn't know how to feel. all my kids are just so sad. I am concerned about disease, what does one do in this situation. This will be the first chick lost after 2 months of chicks so if he goes we are down to 20. sigh. I somehow felt immuned to this:hit

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I am so sorry . But sometimes they just don't make it. I don't know much about quail, but lots of people on here do. Maybe they can tell you what to do:-/

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I think it's an Antwerp Belgian Quail bantam, still a chicken.

Try giving him some electrolyte powder in water, Gatorade(diluted) will work in a pinch but isn't optimal. Also, you can try mixing a bit of the chick feed with lots of water and dripping the water on his beak to try to get him to drink that, if their beak ends up in the water they will lift their heads to drink a bit. I've found that getting a small container and letting their beak droop into it works better than an eyedropper.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

He could just be a runt or he may have some coccidia. i treat with Corid (TSC) and also give vitamins and try to keep them eating and drinking. If it won't drink then take a syringe with 1/2 water to 1/2 poultry vitamins and pinch up some loose skin on it's back and inject 1 cc under the skin. It will absorb and give some nutrients.

5. kimmybee

kimmybee Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Waddell
    he died.

so sad. okay for next time, hopefully all the chicks don't get it. darn. well i will get supplies on Monday in case. hopefully i don't need it. thanks so much, it was so so sick. where do i get supplies by the way??

thanks so much guys.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So very sorry, sometimes you just can't help them. Tractor supply has Corid & Tylan 50.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by