Help! New chicken owner with a sic girl.

Sweetpee

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 10, 2013
This is my first thread, although I read BackYard Chickens for everything.
I have a 10 month old Buff and yesterday she started acting very lethargic. She sits down a lot, sleeps a lot, and doesn't show much interest in anything. She walks slow.
I have fed her yogurt for the past 2 days although today she didn't take much interest (although eventually ate a couple tablespoons full). She free ranges in our yard and today she was eating a little grass and scratching around.
Is she drinking water with chicken electrolytes in it, but not a lot.
No discharge around her eyes, nose, beak, or vent. Eyes still clear.
No funny breathing sounds but she is chicken whining a bit.
Her comb and or wattles seem more pale than normal and her tail is down.
She couldn't jump up to her roost last night - I had to help her up the ramp. I didn't think she would make it through the night.
Today she was a little more alert, walking around a little, and came slow running for a treat and the tip of her tail seemed elevated.
She hasn't laid an egg in 3 days.
I only have 2 hens, the other, an EE, is also 10 months old, no eggs yet (is that normal?), and looks like she just got foul pox. She is not acting ill at all.
Not sure what to do, its so sad. Can I help her at all or is she going to die?
Please help.

have you examined her vent? feel around it, she maybe egg bind, check her for mites and lice, try sprinkling 7 dust all over her. Perhaps it could be worms, have you wormed her lately?

Check her over really good from head to toes to vent. smell her breath or for any odors...look for diarear from the rear. Could be a number of things so try that and lets see if we can narrow it down. See if she will eat some scrambled eggs as well...mash it up pretty good..

The foul pox look like black scabs. Also I don't know what you mean by "check the vent." Its not mites, we keep her well dusted with DE and did not see anything like that. She is walking around today and eating again, but no eggs for the 4th day in a row.

She ate some cottage cheese today (we ran out of yogurt) and we put DE in her food (someone said it was a de-wormer. Her bowl movements seem normal too.

The foul pox look like black scabs. Also I don't know what you mean by "check the vent." Its not mites, we keep her well dusted with DE and did not see anything like that. She is walking around today and eating again, but no eggs for the 4th day in a row.
VENT, is where the egg comes out. Feel around her it for swelling. Look underneath her tail, you'll see it, perhaps this will help, where they go poop. LOL

Remember they are not going to lay every single day, they do take breaks, it may be days or weeks before they start up again. usually as the weather gets cooler, they completely stop until warm weather sets in again..

I would try and not give her so much dairy products. try this see if this will work, take her regular feed and add warm water to it until it softens up. See if she doesn't get some of that down. I do this for my chicks and they way they act you would think I was giving them Candy or something.

I would suspect that she has coccidiosis, worms, or may be egg bound. You can take a rubber glove and insert a finger into the vent and feel for an egg. I would worm with Valbazen or Safegar goat wormer. DE is something many like, many don't use, but it definitely won't work as a wormer after getting wet it the GI tract. Since your other chicken has fowl pox, look inside this one's mouth to make sure there aren't yellow cheesy plaques in there--that would be wet fowl pox. If she is having diarrhea, I would treat for cocci with Corid.

Back
Top Bottom