Help! New chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Southern Gardener, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    I received my new chicks from Ideal this morning - there are a couple that are not doing so well. Hardly eating or drinking and just standing under the light. Should I try to give them sugar water to get them going? Any suggestions? All the other chickes I've raised never had any problems. One of my broilers just screams - won't eat or drink.

Thanks!

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    When I first got mine (last week) I took them from the package and placed them in the brooder, they acted like that too and I was a little worried (never had chicks before) But once they warmed up and got used to their feet they started to act like normal chicks. It took all day and into the next day before they were OK. Just keep a close eye on them! and good luck! [​IMG]

PS - maybe try the sugar water....

3. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    This is probably a stupid question, but did you dip their beaks in the water?

Also, are they cold? I only ask because you said they are standing under the light? If all your other birds are fine, you probably got a couple sick ones on your hands.

Without seeing your setup I can't really offer much more help, but I would ensure they aren't eating their bedding (did you cover your brooder floor with paper towels?) and just make sure they are warm enough and that they can find the water.

I've read some hatcheries recommend you do not let them access feed for an hour after they've had access to water. I think it helps get their tummies working properly before they start eating.

All this is just shots in the dark though. I hope they snap out of it. [​IMG]

4. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Yup, dipped all the beaks, paper towels in brooder, enough light for warmth. I did give the frumpy ones sugar water - they seem to be doing a little better. I think getting chicks through the mail is a crap shoot. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by