Help! New duck mom

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JessicaNickole, Mar 16, 2018.

1. JessicaNickole

JessicaNickole In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2018
    4 day old duckling has this weird thing sticking out of bottom of stomach (?) area. Intestines? Colon? It was not there yesterday and the duckling was fine yesterday and today until late this evening when I checked on it and the rest of the ducklings. Now the duckling is walking around with its wings out and not quite walking upright all the way. Sluggish at times. A big change from this morning when it was running and playing with the other ducklings and now. Do I have a dying duckling in my hands? 20180316_205729.jpg 20180316_205736.jpg 20180316_205741.jpg 20180316_224902.jpg

Quacking Pigeon likes this.
  2. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Is it drinking and eating? You might want to keep it separate from the others. Depending on the area your in it could possibly be a bot fly but probably isn’t. Check what others say

3. JessicaNickole

JessicaNickole In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2018
    I put the poor baby in "quarantine" :( It's eating and drinking fine. No bot flies around here that I know of.

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Almost looks like a prolapsed vent? Or umbilical hernia?..

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Might want to use some betadine to clean it up in case of bacteria. [Infection]
    Hopefully it will dry up and fall off soon. Good sign it's eating and drinking!

@WVduckchick
    @Pyxis

6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    can't tell for sure but looks herniated to me too. Definitely make sure it drinks well, and hopefully it will draw back in ok.
    Betadine is a good idea too, or some Neosporin.

Miss Lydia and chickens really like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: