Help!! New hatchling has something coming from his vent !!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Enders Farms, May 23, 2010.

1. Enders Farms

Enders Farms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    New baby hatched early this morning has a cord of stuff coming out the vent and is having trouble walking etc. Can I do something for it??? It is really struggling!!!

2. Enders Farms

Mar 16, 2010
    bump!!! Please...Anyone?????

3. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Can we see a pic? I cant tell what it is just by what your describing.

4. Enders Farms

Mar 16, 2010
    I don't know how to do it and my husband is out in the field. Just looks like an umbilical cord of sorts and it is really causing trouble . I don't know if I can wash it away or if he just needs a little time or what!!! I wish i knew how to use the darned camera!!!

5. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    Probably just the cord. Let it dry and in time it will come off.
    But of course without a pic, we can't guarentee it.

6. Enders Farms

Mar 16, 2010
    Thank you. I know from spending too much time here how important a picture is. I just feel very helpless and don't want to lose this little cutie.

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Without the pic it's hard to say for sure, but it prob. didn't absorb all the yolk before hatch and that along with the cord is likely what you're seeing. Make sure it's on a surface that it won't get hung up on and rip out and make sure the other chicks don't start pecking at it. Hopefully it will either absorb or dry up and fall off in a day or so. [​IMG] I think that's about all you can do for it right now.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds like the umbilical cord to me, as others have already said. If it's tripping the baby up, then you need to grab a pair of very sharp snips, sterilize them in hot water and/or alcohol, and snip the cord. It is almost certainly done pumping blood, so this is quite safe. It's okay to leave some attached--you don't have to snip close to the belly button. Just get enough off that he's not tripping up on it. This is important because it can also pull on his belly button and sometimes cause internal damage if he's constantly pulling on it.

Good luck! [​IMG]

9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    P.S. It's not uncommon at all, and not dangerous, as long as you don't let him get tangled up in it too much. Should dry up and fall off in a few days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by