Help new roo is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzie1, Jan 25, 2013.

1. suzie1

suzie1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    California
    Okay so I got a rooster and he looked good so stupid me put him in with my 9 hens. Three days later I hear him with a little bit of rasp breathing after I had to chase him around to catch him, he is still very active any healthy looking. I now have him quarranted and gave him one dose of Tylan 50. I'm new so stupid me also ended up with lice and maybe mites on a couple of hens I bought from another breeder in the area, so all hens have now been dusted twice and today I didn't see any live bugs on them.And I cleaned the house and but some dust on the floor under the shavings. So my question is what should I do with the rooster and I can still see eggs on the feathers of the hens will those ever go away? Thank you to any that help.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    How long have you given him Tylan???
    You can put vaseline on the nits (eggs) and they will fall off. If you leave them they will hatch and you will start treatment again.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. suzie1

Jan 16, 2013
    California
    He has only had one shot of Tylan. I was planning on going for 5-7 days depending on how he is doing. So I have to put vaseline on every feather that has eggs on it and that won't hurt the bird?

4. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    No it will not hurt them at all. Keep up the tylan treatment.

5. suzie1

Jan 16, 2013
    California
    How long should I keep him away from the hens and do you think they are all infected with whatever he has? I am just wondering if I should surrender him for testing just incase it is something really bad. I don't want to have a flock of infected birds because I know a lot of people who have birds and I would hate to give them a bad disease.

6. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    It sounds like a respiratory infection. I would treat for 5 days and see how he is then. The others could become infected even after your rooster recovers because they usually have it forever even when they recover.

7. suzie1

Jan 16, 2013
    California
    okay here's the update. Mr. Rooster is back were we bought him. They have a better place to keep him quarantine. They have also taken one of theirs that is sick to our state lab for testing. We should know what they have next week. Agh. Know all I have to do is check my girls about a thousand times a day to see if they are getting sick. I will update when I know more. Thank You for your help.

8. suzie1

Jan 16, 2013
    California
    Okay update on my Blue Orpington Rooster. Mr. Rooster. After a week at the breeder we got him back good and healthy. We hatched about 15 of his babies and they turned out great. I will try to post pictures. As for getting sick none of my others got sick. Yeah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by