Help new silkie chicken has a bloody wattle

shiro1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Central Pa.
I have an older silkie chicken i bought monday and i went out today and it has an injured wattle. I think one of our 5 week old red stars pecked it on its wattle. I took the silkie out of coop and checked it. I looked and it has little peck marks on the wattle which had been bleeding. will i have to worry about this all the time or will it eventually work out the pecking order. Also i bought another silkie 2 older barred rocks and 2 older australorps and the other chicks dont bother them just this one. Any info will help.

Thank you

I dont have any of that on hand, will have to get some. silkie is older probably a year or older. I bought the chickens at a livestock auction. they were the nicest looking ones there. thanks

Silkies are known for being picked on. Usually what happens is they get all their fluffy feathers plucked out by the other birds. Keep a close eye on this because it can do a lot of damage. Yes, the pecking order usually works itself out in a week or two, but in some cases it doesn't, and you should consult a thread on bullying. Sometimes isolating the bully from the other birds (making it the noob when it's reintroduced) can help. You might need to separate the injured bird while it's bleeding, because other chickens tend to keep pecking at a bloody spot.

Clean the area with saline (contact solution squirt bottle works great) or water. Keeping chickens for dummies recommends Tea Tree Oil for torn combs and wattles (just keep it away from their eyes). It's an excellent antiseptic and fly repellant, which will allow it to heal without getting infected. If they do get infected, that area may need to be removed. It is also ok to put a thin layer of antibiotic ointment on or New-Skin. I just used New-skin on my bird, actually. Just keep it out of its feathers, eyes, mouth, etc.

Back
Top Bottom