HELP new to chicken world WHAT ARE THESE????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by The Momma, Oct 24, 2013.

1. The Momma

The Momma Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    I met a chicken farmer who gave me 9 eggs. I hatched 8 and have been in love with chickens since then. Never done this before so I am clueless but chickens are forgiving and we are thriving. THey are now 7 weeks old and come and go out of their coop and into their personal chicken yard complete with compost pile that they are slowly figuring out.

6 eggs were the darkest brown I have ever seen. The chicks were all chipmunk coloring. Now 3 of them are about same size and coloring with black and brown feathers that is Momma, Fran and Beatrice. THey have larger tail feathers. The other 3 are lighter and one appears to be a rooster (Goldie) but I need help with them. THey are smaller and tail feathers are smaller too. They are more brown and gold. I thought they might be Welsummers, then maybe Golden Salmon Marans and now I am not sure. They maybe crossbreeds.

2 hatched from light brown eggs and are black. Tia is solid black including her legs and beak. Napoleon was black with a white dot on his head as a chick and now he is smaller, authoritative and gray with beautiful markings. Black Sex Links? Black Marans?

I dont have a clue to what type any of them are or if they are boys or girls. HELP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

3. The Momma

Oct 9, 2013
    After searching the types that you suggested, I think you are right on. I'm a little worried that I have 4 cockerels but time will tell. I know without a doubt I have two. Napoleon (Cuckoo Maran) is the best. I hate that Im going to have to give him up. Hopefully to a good home bc he will be beautiful and loves the ladies. He's been very dominant since birth.

All the chickens have thick legs so while I am not discounting your observation, I'm not holding onto that either. Surely I have a few girls in the mix.

Thanks for your input. I will post more pics when they get a little older. No matter what, I certainly have some gorgeous girls. So excited!!

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    If a farmer gave you some eggs, I highly doubt that they are purebred birds. It takes a whole lot of work to keep that many breeds separate and pure on the same property, and it doesn't make much sense that they'd just give away the purebred eggs that they've worked so hard on. For that reason, I think you have all barnyard mixes. The dark eggs probably came from Marans or Marans crosses. The one getting the stripes have a barred or cuckoo parent in there somewhere.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    In my opinion, your birds are all mixes. They all look somewhat like a pure breed, but not exactly.

6. The Momma

Oct 9, 2013
    does it matter if the hens/pullets are all mixes? Does it effect eggs? The farmer I got them from has 6 different pens. He's getting rid of his flock so instead of getting hens, I opted for eggs since I have never hatched any.

I'm getting Barnevelders and Welsummers in the spring so I'm looking forward to them coming!!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Nope, it really doesn't matter, unless you want to show them or are trying to get purebred birds. The egg quality will not be affected. In fact, your birds will probably be healthier than pure breeds, because they are hybrids. Hybrids often have what is called "hybrid vigor".

8. The Momma

Oct 9, 2013
    awesome!! i'm totally fine with that bc they are beautiful and very laid back little birds. can't wait for them to start laying. thanks very much for the reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by