1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

help! new to chickens and they are sick!! need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sconklin, Jul 31, 2014.

1. sconklin

sconklin Hatching

Jul 31, 2014
    Hello,
    My husband and I just bought 6month old chickens five days ago! They were very happy and healthy (or so we thought) until yesterday. One of them started gurgling yesterday. Today, all of them are gurgling when they cluck. One has an eye that is closed and they seemed to be hunckered down in there run and not doing much. We just put some oxytetracline in there water. Hoping that will help but if anyone has any other advice or ideas please let me know!!
    Thank you

2. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    Could they have gotten into something poisonous? If so, try doing a flush?

3. sconklin

sconklin Hatching

Jul 31, 2014
    They have been contained to the coop ad run since we got them so I doubt it could be something poisonous!

4. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    Well then I dunno. :( haven't kept chickens in awhile (just keeping ducks at the moment), so this is based off old knowledge.

5. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Songster

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    I'd contact the place they came from, see if they have any that are ill and they might know what it is?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: