Help, New to Ducks and 3day old sneezing/sounds congested

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flnatv, May 7, 2011.

1. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Please give me advice on how to treat this baby duck.
    It is a call duck and we got him/her on Thursday.
    We actually got 4 ducks... 2 cresteds in the big girl pen outside (6weeks old), and a chocolate call about a week old, then this tiny little day old baby call duck.

We have the two little ones inside in a brooder with 2 week old Partridge Rock and New Hamshire chicks.
    I called the breeder yesterday and she said I could bring the little guy back and get another, but I am already its momma [​IMG] and can't do that [​IMG]

Anyway... the little one is sneezing (not much, but a little) and seems to be breathing heavy and makes snot noises when breathing.
    I had them on pine bedding.... took them off last night when I noticed the breathing issue.

The baby is eating, drinking (very much plays in the waterer), and follows everyone one around like I would expect. Doesn't "act" sick.

2. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    One of my mallards did that for a while too. You can fill your bath tub a little bit with warm water, and let the little ones swim around. He/she might have something caught in her nose. This way she can stick her head underwater and blow bubbles. I am not sure on what else to do though.

3. flnatv

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I will try anything... and I will make sure she is warm when she gets out too [​IMG]

4. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Yes, make sure she is nice and dry before you put her back into the brooder [​IMG]

5. flnatv

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Not completely gone, but does sound much better now. She had a GRAND time getting to swim for the first time [​IMG] So Cute!!!
    Put her infront of a slow blowing dryer until she was completely dry... I think she is tired now... lol

Thank you all and I will keep you posted if it doesn't seem to clear up mostly by tonight.

6. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yeah, a few of mine sneeze sometime after eating, or digging in the dirt, but usually after getting a drink or sticking their head in their pond it goes away. I assume its just something stuck in their noses.

7. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Hehe, isn't it the best to watch them! Hopefully it will go away quickly!!

8. flnatv

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Checked her a few minutes ago and I don't hear any wheezing at all...
    I thank you for the quick responses...
    BYC people are the best.... I Love you guys [​IMG]

9. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Quote:YAY! what a blessing! So happy for you and you little one [​IMG]. This forum has helped me with SO much! I love it too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by